Chapter 45 Granted

I secretly asked myself before agreeing with him. What His Majesty said was not wrong.

I had never trusted him from the very beginning.

Things like trust could not be obtained without deep affections and going through life and death together.

Even though I had been in his arms for such a long time, I never really trusted him.

His phoenix eyes appeared desolate and angry, "Zhen's sincerity is not enough to gain the empress' trust..."

I felt really guilty, it was as though I had taken advantage of him and kept on receiving without giving.

"Seems like the empress still cannot trust zhen. Why don't you copy the books ten more times and learn a little more from those momos? When you are ready to marry; when you have finished copying the books and have learned enough; when you have learned to trust your husband, we will discuss the date of the marriage. What do you think?"

I grabbed onto his dragon robe and refused to let go, "Your Majesty, I really trusts you now! Let's get married, the faster the better!"

He wrapped his arms around me and glued his forehead against mine. There were traces of laughter in his phoenix eyes, "Since the empress is that excited to marry zhen, we should prepare the decree. Somebody come! Ask the Department of Rites to come up with an auspicious date for the marriage ceremony!" As Tian Bing Qing replied, Feng Zhao Wen gave my face a heavy kiss.

Once my feet landed back on the ground, I suddenly had doubts: I actually brought up the marriage thing with my own mouth. Something seemed off with this.

As for him, he seemed really happy today. He no longer forced me to 'study in preparation of the marriage'. Having been able to escape copying books, I felt really pleased, myself.

As for the matter of trust, he gave me a deep and profound lesson once night fell. I knew better than to doubt His Majesty again. I trusted him as much as I trusted myself; I would never think nonsense again. I would no longer worry about losing my head, about dying, about what he planned behind everybody's back and things like that.

After His Majesty finished with his sweaty lesson, he hugged me while lying on the dragon bed, his voice gentle as he spoke, "The Great Chen is a perished country. As for the seal, Uncle Tong told me that you had unintentionally buried it with the late regent. Those secret soldiers were originally loyal to the Great Chen. Even if you dig it out from the regent's tomb, they will not simply change their loyalty to me. What use does it has to me? I heard those soldiers were warriors that were trained by the late regent. They are lying in wait for further orders, living in the mountains and valleys in a self-sustaining environment. From now on, let's leave them be."

The large stone in my heart disappeared. I rubbed his soaked chest before whining softly, "How smelly!" But I couldn't help from settling more comfortably against his chest. The desire to be inside his chest was paramount, it felt so intimate.

He slowly stroke my back with his large palm, just like my Father used to do to coax me to sleep.

I peacefully entered the dreamland while nestling against him.

An imperial wedding was one cumbersome and grand affair.

On the next day, I was surrounded by guards as I was sent back to An Residence to wait for my wedding day.

Before departing, His Majesty twisted my ear and repeatedly reminded me to maintain my distance with my 'brother'. If there were to be any contact, be it pulling my brother by the wrist, I would continue copying books once I return to the palace until I understood the concept of 'maintaining distance between men and women'.