Black-clothed Men and Imperial Guards

Father's funeral was done frugally. He was never one to live in luxury when he was alive, so it was only natural that his funeral was done in a low-key manner.

There were not many people who came to offer condolences. It was not a surprise, the tea naturally turned cold after the person passed.

Yan Yu came once.

He placed three stick of incense in front of Father's coffin, before sighing heavily, caressing the coffin. He was in tears.

The sound of my laughter made him pause.

"Don't be sad Uncle Yan. My Father is lazy and is taking the advantage to rest, that is why he leaves first. The Great Qi's 100,000 armies are pressuring our border, the flame of war has rekindled. The armies cannot do without you. As for Father, he can sleep in peace. Let him sleep."

Perhaps, he was horrified at the fact that I was not crying. He sighed, "This child....."

It was not the time for him to scold me unfilial, so he only turned around walked away.

After he left, I could hear the sound of Uncle Tong's voice from the other side of the mantle, "The old Master left like this, what of Xiao Lang?"

An Qing sounded considerably upset as he replied him, "The old Master had kept Xiao Lang within his palm while he was alive, who would have known that he would end up getting angered to death by Xiao Lang. She had a heart of stone, she didn't even shed a single tear. Unfilial......"

I rested my forehead against my Father's coffin. It had been days since I last slept. Ever since that night of heavy rain, I couldn't fall asleep no matter how hard I tried. I kept seeing Father's bloody face.

I kept vigil in front of Father's coffin, I couldn't even tell day from night. I curiously pressed my small dagger against my leg. I could still feel pain, but it would soon be overcome by the pain in my heart. I looked at the red color of blood, it looked exactly the same as the blood that marred Father's face. It brought pain into my eyes.

I heard Uncle Tong's soft sigh, "You don't understand. An Qing. The old Master considered the court a corrupted place. He liked how carefree our Xiao Lang was, he had no plan to push her into the dirty pond."

I felt as though my heart was being grasped tight by a hand, it was hard for me to breathe. As I hid beyond the mantle, the dagger in my hand continued to pressed hard against my leg. I couldn't tell the difference between pressing it lightly and pressing it hard, but seeing the alarming color of red painting my clothes, I felt as though I was bathing in a pool of blood.

An Qing was not convinced, "This is not about Xiao Lang wanting to get involved or not....... Didn't someone came by to ask to meet Xiao Lang two days ago? He said he wanted our Young Master to take charge? I don't understand why Uncle Tong stopped that person. What is wrong with allowing Xiao Lang to continue the old Master's legacy?"

Uncle Tong never told me of such a thing.

"What do you know? Do you know if those people were sincere when they said they wanted to welcome Xiao Lang to take charge? Maybe they just wanted to push a puppet to act as the leader so they can play king from behind. An Qing, I will not stop you if you wants to chase glory. It is about time for you to think about your future too. But Xiao Lang cannot. Xiao Lang only needs to live happily, that was what the old Master wanted."

I bit my lips; I could feel blood from between my teeth. Father, would your anger towards me lessen if I obediently listen you and live a simple life? Would you start forgiving me, little by little?

I knocked my head absent-mindedly against the coffin, the hand that grasped my heart seemed to be grasping it even tighter. I had a feeling that I would stop breathing very soon.