Chapter 44 The Matter of Trust

Yi Wang was a diabolical person. If I might say so myself, he was the type that refused to see others living well if he could not.

After he was tied and presented before us, he turned to Xiao Huang and knelt in front of him, "Your Majesty, this official has forsaken your trust. It is no longer possible for me to help you recover the Great Chen. From now on, we can only count on you. After this official dies, recovering the Great Chen will be your responsibility!"

Go and die! Die! Die! Die!

I froze while nestling against Feng Zhao Wen's chest. I carefully raised my head to look at him, only to see him going green in the face. He swept his sharp eyes over the prisoners before settling it on Xiao Huang's face.

Xiao Huang gave him a casual smile, as though Feng Zhao Wen had known that he was the deposed emperor from the very beginning. I buried my head against Feng Zhao Wen's chest in frustration.

Yi Wang then turned to me with an expression full of hope, "General Guang Wu sacrificed her body to appease the enemy. Even if you do not have a good ending, your merit will be remembered by us. Please accept this king's bow!"

I poked my head out from Feng Zhao Wen's chest and watched as he solemnly gave me a great bow. Then, he got dragged away while the little miss sobbed in the background.

The night wind blew gently as the remaining troops looked at Xiao Huang like a tiger eyeing it's prey. It was as though they were only waiting for Feng Zhao Wen's order to pounce on him. I turned my head to look at him. He gave me a careless smile, "Jiejie, those three years was more than enough for me." I almost cried when I hear that.

I clutched onto Feng Zhao Wen's chest and argued, "Your Majesty, he is not the deposed emperor. He is my little brother, my father's illegitimate child, An Le! He is really my brother!"

His Majesty slowly swept his phoenix eyes over my face, his lips curling, "Really? From how zhen looks at it, this brother of yours does not resemble you at all."

I was so nervous I could not breathe..... Rumors had it that not a single ruler was left alive after Feng Zhao Wen took over their kingdom. Right now, I was depending completely on his affection for me.

A ruler's love had never been a reliable thing, but I could only depend on that to beg for Xiao Huang's life.

"He- he was born from a different mother, of course we didn't look alike! Your Majesty had met the late emperor of the Great Chen before, how can you believe what Yi Wang said?"

"Oh. Since he is the empress' little brother, he should return to An Residence to properly recuperate!"

Two guards escorted Xiao Huang and the little miss and galloped away on their horses. I peeked out at their disappearing silhouette, "Actually, I, too should have been sent back to An Residence with them!"

"En? Your brother—–"

"To the palace! To the palace it is! I naturally should go back to the palace with Your Majesty!" I said, with a mournful face.

Everything was back to normal in the palace. E Huang was beyond happy when she saw me. She kept chirping away like a little bird and kept bringing up about how anxious the emperor was after I got kidnapped; about how he could not eat or rest. The girl sure loved to exaggerate. I was riding with him on the way back, and he was as strong and alert as usual. He did not look worn-out at all. He did not look like 'someone who did not sleep' at all.

Feng Zhao Wen took off his robe and ordered Tian Bing Qing to bring some medicine. After he finished putting on medicine on the wound, Tian Bing Qing turned to me with a face full of admiration, "This must be your doing! Other than you, no one else would dare to bite His Majesty!"