Chapter 32 [S] The Art of Living Under Imperial Rule

TN: Please do note that this chapter takes us back to the present time.)

Yi Wang's shizi got drunk and trampled on commoner's crops with his horse. The other officials wanted him impeached. Feng Zhao Wen ordered the rascal to face reformation in the countryside. 3 months later, I had the chance to witness his return with my own eyes.

(TN: shizi (世子) means first-born, or heir apparent.)

A tanned young man was kneeling in the middle of Zhong Hua Palace while knocking his head on the floor, "Your Majesty, I was wrong. Please do not punish me to the countryside again. I had to eat food for dogs and pigs, it is too hard. Imperial cousin......"

E Huang secretly whispered something to my ear, "Shizi seemed to have changed a lot. His skin has sagged and his eyes have turned sallow. All the mamas said that alcohol has been drained out of his body."

When I first knew her, this girl had a small gut. Who would have known that once we warmed up to each other, she would share everything she knew to me, and she knew a lot. She was petite and was maintaining a timid appearance, but it was only for show.

We were hiding behind a windscreen to watch the show. Yi Wang was crying while pointing at his son in exasperation, "It is you who didn't learn well, you darn child! His Majesty's punishment is already light. You should have stayed there for the rest of your life as a lesson; farming is not an easy thing to do."

E Huang speaks again, "Yi Wang is only saying this for the sake of saying. I heard he only has this one son. He dotes on him so much, everything his son wants he gives. His son has many concubines in the manor, but he always runs off to brothels anyway, bringing other nobles and relatives with him in his excursion. The wangfei got angered to the point of sickness so many times. She has now dedicated her entire life to praying and has left the manor's management to the side consorts."

Feng Zhao Wen's eyes were stern, "Zhen think it is better to follow what imperial uncle said; shizi should stay in the countryside for a couple more months."

Yi Wang's obese body trembled, his heart must have ached for his child.

His son wiped his tears while crying, continuing to kowtow repeatedly. Feng Zhao Wen massaged his temple, looking very impatient, "Get up, imperial uncle."

Yi Wang got up obediently and stood in the sideline in silence.

I heard the late emperor of the Great Qi had around 7 or 8 imperial brothers. When Feng Zhao Wen was only the Crown Prince, those uncles had been eyeing the throne with bated breath. However, when the previous emperor died, Feng Zhao Wen inherited the throne right from his hand and then proceed to either demote or kill each and every capable uncles he had. The common people were full of praises for Feng Zhao Wen; the people on the imperial clan however would get anxious at the sound of his name.

He was very firm; able to give out punishments or rewards without bias. No officials dared to get cocky after receiving a reward from him.

Feng Zhao Wen's expression loosened a little, looking a lot more affable towards Yi Wang, "Imperial uncle, the imperial clan was haughty and extravagant in the previous dynasty. Now that our land has turned vast, the imperial clan should have set an example to the common people. Zhen heard the number of concubines in imperial cousin's manor is comparable to zhen's harem."

The father and son's foreheads became sweaty. They helped each other walk as they head out of the palace. A eunuch followed them from behind, carrying the things Feng Zhao Wen bestowed them.