Chapter 57 For the People

Books like 'The Virtue of Women' told us that after marriage, women should just listen to their husbands, or else, the consequences would be dire.

I deeply regretted the fact that I had forgotten the essence of marriage, even after copying those books so many times. Marriage was never a peaceful thing; there would always be some problem somewhere. It was said that to appease the common people, one must do what the people wanted them to do. However, as long as the ruler was smart, going his way and his way alone might not be a bad thing

In my case, the emperor was a ruler who engaged in politic and was used to having his way. Debating with him would only result in defeat. History taught us that without a strong backing behind a reformation theory, the likelihood of being beheaded in front of the Meridian Gate was really high.

(TN: It was said that criminals would be beheaded in front of the Forbidden City's Meridian Gate. You can read more about the Meridian Gate .)

I was a petty little person who had a penchant of avoiding trials and troubles; realizing that I was completely powerless in this situation upsets me a little. I stepped into the hall before giving a bleak last glance to the person behind me. Tian Bing Qing tried to hold his laughter as he disappeared from sight.

Feng Zhao Wen imposingly looked at me before saying, "The empress sure is bold. You actually slipped out of the palace without zhen's permission!"

Ever since I got pregnant, I was held captive in Zhong Hua Palace. Even going to the imperial garden needed to be accompanied by him. I was in such a hurry when leaving the palace earlier that I did not get to inform him.

He was like a tiger slowly showing his claws, at the moment.

I hesitantly tried to excuse myself, "I was doing it for the people!"

General Huang's family was indeed a part of the Great Qi's common populace.

He was clearly not satisfied with my answer, "Zhen didn't know that the officials in the capital are too busy eating snacks to be doing their jobs!"

True; 'for the people' was too excessive from my part. If I had to personally tend to every person in the kingdom, I would have tire myself to death.

I stepped forward and laughed drily, "I was just putting myself on the line to help my brothers!"

(TN: She literally said 两边肋骨插 = 'piercing oneself with knives to help another'.)

Su Ren and Zhao Yong were my brothers.

He narrowed his phoenix eyes before looking at my body, "Where are the knives?"

Well damn! Writers always like to exaggerate the difficulties faced by their heroes to keep the audience's interest on them; I was just saying that for the sake of saying!

He patted my abdomen with his claws before sighing a little, "When will you start caring about our son in your stomach? When will you stop running here and there without a care for your own safety?"

Anger and gentleness could both be detected in that sigh of his. He looked like an injured tiger who was retrieving it's claws, one that wanted to lie on the ground so you could pat his tummy.

I looked at him sincerely; "Honestly..... The child in my stomach could also be a girl?"

This time, he was really angry. He trained his fierce phoenix eyes on me, "Does the child being a girl means you can simply run around outside?!"

The ruling people loved to use this method to scare the common populace; one moment, they were soft and gentle and then the next, their swords were at ready.