Chapter 37 [S] Smelling the Aroma

The Great Chen's tomb was located in the western part of the capital.

The southwestern part of the tomb housed the founding emperor and ministers of the Great Chen. Because of the war, a lot of the ministers did not get their wish to return to this burial land.

Father and Uncle Yan were the late emperor's trusted aides. When the previous emperor was building his tomb, he consulted the Feng Shui Master and built one for each of them in auspicious spots.

When Uncle Tong and I reached the tomb, we bumped into Yan Ping who arrived earlier to do his worshipping.

Perhaps he was shocked seeing me here, once he was done with his ritual, he rushed over. Uncle Tong watched the approaching him like he would to an enemy, "What is that brat doing here? He looked so gentle and kind, but the truth is, he is just like his father. They have scheming hearts. Do not trust him anymore, Xiao Lang."

I was annoyed at him as I knelt in front of Father's grassy grave, "How long has it been since you last pull out weeds from Father's grave, Uncle Tong? See how tall they have become!"

Uncle Tong distractedly looked at me before quickly fussing over, "Xiao Lang! Xiao Lang! Your skirt has gotten dirty. You are really—— you look like a pretty young maiden, but the moment you speak, you resemble a wild monkey!"

I retorted back in grievance, "Are there monkeys as beautiful as me?"

Those personal maids that Feng Zhao Wen bestowed me were not lazy. They had been bathing me and scrubbing my skin every day for the past few months. My skins got so supple and healthy, it was as though I stole another person's skin.

Uncle Tong looked at me in a mix of exasperation and amusement, "You who climbed trees to pluck their fruits are lesser than a monkey. At least they have their fur keeping them warm. Even monkeys are better than you!"

I grasped the mound, "Father-ah! Uncle Tong said your daughter is worse than a monkey! Get up and beat him up!"

Uncle Tong sighed amidst his laughter. Even his tears had fallen down, "The Old Master might really get up in anger because of you." He turned around to wipe his face and eyed Yan Ping's approaching figure. Then, he turned back around and helplessly sighed, "Look at your fingers. I wonder how His Majesty took care of you in the palace. It has never been this fair and smooth before. These grasses have not been pulled for three years, it is better if I do it instead."

Back then, when I was raised by Father and Uncle Tong, washing my hands and face clean would already be considered an achievement.

From the sound of it, he seemed to be blaming me. But why did it felt like he was praising Feng Zhao Wen, upon closer inspection?

Uncle Tong kneeled over and helped me pull out the grasses, "After burying the Old Master, I had never visited his grave. First of all, my heart ached. Second of all, I felt guilty. I promised him I would take care of you, but what happened in the end? I ended up losing you....."

He cried again.

I could not bear seeing him crying. I made him cry so many times since yesterday. Seeing Yan Ping coming over, I took that opportunity to put a handkerchief in his palm, "Uncle Tong, the little fox from Yan family is here. If he sees you crying, he will laugh at you!"

Speaking of which, carrying handkerchief with me seemed to be a habit I picked up after spending these past couple of months with Feng Zhao Wen.

I seemed to have changed a lot unknowingly.

When Yan Ping got to us, we were pulling out weeds with all our hearts. He rolled up his sleeves to help us, but I quickly stopped him, "Do not, General Yan! You might dirty your hands!"