Chapter 17 Memory is the Most Unreliable Thing

Feng Zhao Wen kicked all the servants out of the hall. He sat in front of the table, ordering me to brew him tea. He glanced outside, "An Yi, what do you think if zhen put General Yan to death?" His eyes were dark and filled with murderous aura.

I finally understood the difficulties of an unmarried maiden. Eating the wife's food but living the waiting girl's life.

(TN: Waiting girls are usually a part of the wife's dowry when marrying into the husband's family. They are supposed to wait on them and even do 'that' with the husband.)

I decided to cast my conscience aside and morphed into a vile person, "Your Majesty, this Yan Ping really deserves to die! Since he chose to assume his position, he should have done his job properly! How can he look into your bowl and still covets your pot?!"

(TN: bowl —-> Qin Yu Zheng, pot —-> An Yi; or you can interchange them lol.)

Feng Zhao Wen lifted his eyebrows, "Didn't you two had an interesting chat earlier on? Why are you after his life now? Are you the kind that love and hate at the same time?"

I looked at him desperately, my entire face filled with grievance, "Love and hate; and things like that are things that storytellers in teahouses use to deceive people! This disgraced one only covets food and shelter. Love and hate are just a waste of time."

Seeing him half-believing and half-suspicious, I quickly rack my brain for an excuse, "The way General Yan's mind works has always been different than normal people. Speaking with him will enlighten people for generations." The power of example was without bound; the propaganda was spread to prevent others from committing the same mistake and receiving the same end.

From Yan Ping, I could see how imposing the emperor's tiger's whisker was. For a little mouse like me, being able to nestle comfortably in Zhong Hua Palace while making tea was truly my fortune.

I used to forsake everything for love; but now, saving this little life of mine was more important.

Perhaps Feng Zhao Wen was not satisfied with my reply. His face looked so cold.

He called for Tian Bing Qing and 'skillfully wrapped his hand around his official's wrist' as he decreed, "Tell General Yan that zhen will bestow him a beautiful girl from proper background. Tell him to go home and wait."

(TN: 'skillfully wrapped his hand around his official's wrist' means that he skillfully keeps his officials (Yan Ping in this case) in check.)

We could hear the sound of Tian Bing Qing warmly relaying the decree afterwards, fully embodying the emperor's generous and benevolent nature. Had I not been in the hall and had listened to everything, I too probably would have been grateful to the emperor and swore lifelong loyalty.

How did he came up with such a magnificent and benevolent decree from that murderous aura earlier on?

The day was long. Night arrived after a long struggle. Taking advantage of Feng Zhao Wen bathing, I climbed into the dragon bed and rolled around. The soft sheets and quilts were so comfortable. I secretly sighed: One night of not sleeping was equivalent to three years of fatigue ah!

While I rolled around happily, my entire world seemed to have turned. Somebody grabbed me and pressed his body against mine. Feng Zhao Wen's handsome face was really close to mine. Before I even get to breath, he put his lips against mine. There was no chance for me to even struggle.

I could somehow hear him murmuring, "Marrying Yan Ping? Zhen simply refuse to let you get what you want!" Such a childish air, there was no way it came from Feng Zhao Wen!