Chapter 36 Livelihood was a Big Problem

I

n the evening, the emperor wanted to leave and was bidding Uncle Tong farewell in the entrance gate. I held Uncle Tong's arm as I waved at Feng Zhao Wen, "Be careful on the way back, Your Majesty! If you have free time, come to my place to play!"

Feng Zhao Wen narrowed his eyes, "You are not coming with zhen?"

I laughed as I nodded, "Your Majesty is kind. You personally sent this commoner home; this commoner is really grateful!" I stood there, admiring his gradually darkening face.

Uncle Tong joined in to add oil to the fire, "Thank you for sending our family's Xiao Lang back home, Your Majesty. This servant is more than grateful."

He stepped towards me. Just as I hid behind Uncle Tong, he pulled the money bag away from my waist. I tried to fight for it but immediately withered at one look from his cold eyes. I stared with bated breath as he opened the bag and checked the inside. He took out about 5 liang of silver and handed it over to me, "Once you are out of money, come back to the palace."

I furiously glared at him, "Your Majesty is so stingy even your officials would laugh at you until their teeth falls!" I put out my hand to take the 5 liang of silver but failed when he put it in the pocket on his chest. He poked into the bag again and took out around 2 liang of silver. He looked like he wanted to keep that away as well. "Seems like zhen gave you too much." He turned around to face Tian Bing Qing, "Xiao Tian, give Miss 100 coins. Once she runs out of money to buy food, she will naturally return to the palace."

When those imperial guards stormed our residence 3 years ago, they took everything away. Even if there were rice in our cellar, it would have certainly grown bad after three years. In the past, we were completely dependent on Father's salary and the previous emperor's gifts. Uncle Tong only had one arm, he did not lead an easy life, he must have had a hard time maintaining our house for the past years.

I looked at Tian Bing Qing in a threatening manner: If you really give me only 100 coins, I will make sure your life becomes hell once I return to the palace.

He patted his chest for a long time before begging me with a bitter face, "Miss, it is better if you just come with His Majesty. You can still visit Uncle Tong in the future."

I was secretly delighted inside. I blinked at him before staring sharply at the two liang of silver in Feng Zhao Wen's hand. He seemed to be having a hard time. In the end, he placed two liang of silver in my palm. In front of others, it seemed as though he was just touching my hand. That sly thing....

"You can stay here for two days. If you miss your caramelized pork hock, you can come back even quicker."As Feng Zhao Wen said that, he took off a piece of jade pendant hanging from his waist and placed it in my palm. "You can use this to enter the palace. Do not pawn it off for silver!"

Your Majesty, you really knew me! I did planned to do so.

I stood next to Uncle Tong with a red face while holding two liang of silver and the pendant. I watched with large eyes as Feng Zhao Wen boarded the carriage with the money bag that Tian Bing Qing gave me. In the blink of an eye, he returned to becoming a master. My heart was aggrieved. Just as I was about to return to the residence with Uncle Tong to lament over our fate, the curtain of the carriage was flipped open. Feng Zhao Wen looked out from inside in a casual manner, "Zhen almost forgot, you did not bring any servants with you today. Once we return, zhen will ask Xiao Tian to bring you four personal maids plus E Huang along with two other servants from Sa Sao Palace."

I quickly knelt down, speaking in an earnest tone, "Your Majesty, this commoner begs you. I only have two liang of silver. There are so many mouths to feed, we cannot afford it!"