33. If glares could kill

Levi's POV

Chi-Chi and Ryder leave about 5:30, just before dinner. Ryder seemed a bit off today, he would never mention Mika and whenever she was brought up his body would go tense. I think Chi-Chi knows what's up because she tried to change the subject every time Mika's name was mentioned.

For dinner we're having toastie sandwiches because they're easy. Teddy is taking Finlay, Nick and Ricky out in the skyline, probably to the races, and Aber and Grace are going to hang out with Chi-Chi. So I have the place to myself and Ruby. We're going to make a blanket fort, then we're going to cuddle up close and watch movies while eating junk food. She'll love it.

Teddy is seated on the edge of the couch, next to Ricky. Her eyes stay focused on the TV as he plays with her fingers. Ricky and Teddy are the cutest couple, it's a shame he leaves in about a week. Well a week and five days. Teddy wants to go home with them and is angry with dad because he won't let her because she has work. Teddy's phone goes off and everyone looks at her. "C'mon boys, we have races to go to." She announces as she jumps up. She exits out the door with the three guys trailing behind her.

The next knock on the door is Chi-Chi and her mates to pick up Grace and Aber. Finally, just me and Ruby. I wrap my arms around his waist from behind and place a light kiss on her cheek. "Do you want to build a snowman?" Ruby sings as she hands me a DVD. I roll my eyes at the movie she passes me. Frozen. I have never seen it or never planned on seeing it. "It doesn't have to be a snowman."

"Well let's build a fort then we can watch your horrid movie." I groan and run to my bedroom to get blankets, sheets and pillows. We quickly make our fort so the TV is at one end and an entrance at the other. I put the movie on as Ruby snuggles down into the mountain of pillows. I grab the remote and snuggle down right next to her. I focus my eyes on the screen but don't actually watch the movie. At some points Ruby starts singing along with it.

The Demi Lovato song Let It Go comes on when the door slams and loud footsteps pace back and forth. The door opens and closes again this time voices come with the footsteps. "Babe, stop pacing. He will be alright Teddy." Ricky's voice comes, uncertain and unconvinced with his own word.

"Ricky, you saw the crash," this gets my full attention and I crawl out of the fort, "you saw how many times his car flipped. That bitch's car didn't even get a scratch." Teddy sounds like she's about to cry. I quickly make my way to the kitchen. Nick, Adam and Finlay are sitting quietly at the island and Ricky is holding a blank looking Teddy tightly in his arms.

"What's happened?" I ask straight up. No thought of being subtle in my mind.

"Ryder was in race with Mika and the bitch made him crash." Teddy angrily seethes. It kind of scared me as she was nearly in tears before. She pushes Ricky off her and sits down in the middle of the kitchen staring blankly in front of her. Her face shows no emotion and sits completely still. Not even her chest rises and falls. She isn't breathing. I stare at Teddy concerned while everyone else stays silent. Ricky is a bit bummed that she wouldn't let him help her. But when she is like this, even I can't help her.

"Levi, she isn't breathing." Ricky states the obvious, his voice high with worry. I really don't want to deal with his crap right now. I need to keep an eye on Teddy.

"I know." I reply and sit down in front of Teddy mirroring her.

"LEVI TEDDY ISN'T BREATHING!" he yells in distress. I roll my eyes and stand up again.

"I'm waiting for her to pass out Ricky. Adam can you please take him into the next room. He doesn't need to see this." I request, Adam nods his head and picks Ricky up in one swift movement and chucks him over his shoulder. Good old Mr Muscles always comes in handy.

I hastily fill a glass of water and retake my seat in front of her. She should be out soon. I tap my fingers against my thigh in anticipation. Teddy starts to fall as the girls come in the front door. I skilfully catch her and gently lay her down on the ground. "Fuck is she okay?" Aber asks as she kneels beside Teddy's head.

"She'll be fine, but you might want to move," I motion to the glass of water in my hand. She nods and moves over to Nick and cuddles into his side. I sigh and kiss Teddy's forehead before tipping the cold water onto her face.

She sits up gasping. She shakes her head and looks around the room. Teddy spots the glass in my hand and glares at me. If glares could kill, I'd be dead. "Fucking hell Levi, you are a fucking idiot and I hate you." She starts off yelling and then starts crying. "Is he dead Levi?" I pull her into my chest and she latches onto my shirt. I wrap my arms around her to provide some comfort.

I squeeze her tightly and whisper to her, "I don't know Ted, I don't know." Her cries become louder and a pain in my chest grows. "Come on, let's get to the hospital now that everyone is here." I pick up her and she wraps her legs around my waist. Adam and Ricky re-join us and we head downstairs to our cars. Everyone apart from Ricky, Adam, Teddy and I bicker about who is going with who. "Chi-Chi, take your sister's old car with Finlay, Adam and Nick. Scarlet take the skyline and the girls. I'll take Teddy, Ricky and Ruby." Everyone nods and moves to their assorted cars.

I put Teddy in the passenger seat of my Evo as Ricky and Ruby climb into the back. I quickly do up Teddy's seat belt and run around the car to the driver's side. My car starts up with a roar and I pull my seatbelt on. I speed out of the garage with Chi-Chi following close behind. I drift around almost every corner not even caring about traffic. We pass Ryder's smashed up car and tears start forming in my eyes. I hope my friend is alright.

I park in the parking lot with a loud screech. "Dude, I didn't know you could drive like that." Finlay comments. It's not the right time to make comments on my driving but I smile slightly at Finlay's sociable awkwardness. I grab on to Ruby and Teddy's hands and we head inside.

"Ryder Yamada?" I ask the lady at the reception desk and she escorts us to the elevator. She pushes the sixth-floor button and walks back to the desk. We ride up in silence and as soon as the doors open I see Mr and Mrs Yamada sitting on the plastic seats. Chi-Chi runs up to them and hugs the woman, bursting out into tears for the first time tonight. We exit the elevator and all take seats, except for Teddy, she sits on Adam's lap her face buried in his chest.