68

My heart hammered in my chest and my eyes were wide in shock, but still, I remained unmoving. There was a moment of silence, the only sound being the quiet thumps of Ban's feet as he walked to the door. It clicked closed, and I waited a few seconds before shooting upward from my sitting position. My cheeks burned bright as I stared down at the sheets.

I put my hands on my cheeks, a small smile making its way to my expression as I bit my lip. My smile slowly got bigger, and butterflies raged in my stomach. I brought my knees to my chest, squealing as I fell backward into the pillow. I was smiling like a total idiot- but I was too ecstatic to care.

"I have a chance!" I said, quiet and content.

I paused for a moment, then shot upward, pumping my hands in the air and laughing. "I have a chance!"

My heart swelled in excitement as I hopped out of the bed, a new spring in my step as I bounced to my side of the room. I approached the pile of random clothes, picking out a feel-good outfit. We all have them, don't we?

After throwing on my jeans and a shirt that was way too big for me, I plopped down on my bed, grinning like an idiot. I curled up in a ball, hugging a pillow to my chest and burying my face in it.

He didn't say he chose me. He didn't say I was his one and only. He didn't guarantee anything. But still... somehow I feel so, ridiculously happy.

"I know he likes Elaine more than me," I mumbled into the pillow, still smiling widely. "But I have a chance- which is a lot fuckin better than I thought I was doing...!"

I giggled like a maniac, the bubbling in my chest making me feel euphoric. I jumped up from the bed, unable to stay still. I grabbed a brush and quickly calmed my hair down, then found two hair-ties and put my hair up in a messy bun, then tied my shirt up to make it look more flattering. I skipped over to the door, swinging it open and walked over to the stairs.

I started hopping down them, almost like an excited three year old. I'm sure I looked like an idiot from an outside perspective. Before I reached the bottom, however, I was halted by a very familiar irritated voice.

I screwed my face up in curiosity, my joy calming down as I listened in, curious as to what was going on.

"... and Elaine is your one and only. I tried to tell you otherwise- that you like (y/n) because it's so ridiculously obvious- but you said I was wrong. Then you two got together, and then you attacked her for Elaine. You're not good enough for her- especially with all the shit you've put her through."

My expression fell- and I went to the bottom stair, so I could listen better.

What is he talking about...?

My elated mood quickly faltered upon hearing King's statement, replaced with concern. A feeling of sadness quickly settled in my core, driving out the euphoria with ease. I wasn't exactly sure why yet, but I had a sick feeling in my stomach that told me this wasn't good. My brows furrowed and my fists clenched as I pressed myself up against the wooden walls separating me and the fairy. My bottom lip quivered- somehow I already knew where this was going.

"The shit I've put her through? Are you serious? Believe it or not, asshole, I have my own shit to deal with!" It was Ban's voice this time- so the two of them are arguing.

"Don't drag her into that!" King hissed.

"I'm not! I'm keeping her away from it! All you ever do is say it's my fault, but have you ever stopped to consider anything but her?" Ban growled, "You have problems. Captain has problem. I have problems. (Y/N) has problems. We all have fucking problems! She's not special!"