81

Ban and Jericho weaved their way through Ravens, glaring at any men who got close enough to steal from them. Jericho looked around, nose scrunched ever-so-slightly at the run-down buildings, raggedy people, and overall gross state of the city. Ban was indifferent. He had lived there most of his life. Ravens hadn't changed, and he doubted it ever would.

Of course, it wasn't that bad. Sure, it was the home of criminals and that jazz, but Ravens was just a really poor area of Brittania. People like Jericho, with bright outfits made from moderately expensive dyes, and large swords and a disgusted look on their face, they attracted too much attention. They had money, so they were the main attraction. Who could take the money or the sword first? It was almost a game.

Therefor, Ban told her to stay close, warding off any unwanted closeness or attention from anyone they were unfamiliar with. Anyone sketchy or eyeing Jericho was given a warning growl and glare, and they hurried off, muttering to themselves or glaring back at him.

So pretty much everyone.

They had just gotten back from yet another back alley shop, sketchy and full of (probably illegal) magic, potions, and artifacts. There was a rumor about someone who could bring the dead to life in Ravens, and Ban was hellbent on finding out who.

"Why are we staying here? It's obvious nobody's selling whatever your looking for," Jericho huffed, looking around and recoiling at the group of skinny, grimy men who were eying her from across the street. One winked and she gagged.

"I don't remember asking for your opinion," Ban said monotonously, eyes darting back and forth into every alleyway they passed, checking for any booths or shops. "You're the one who wanted to come with, so stop bitching."

Jericho glared at him, crossing her arms and huffing under her breathe, "Rude..."

She occupied herself by looking around the city some more. At some point they had turned onto a new street, which had more branches than the previous one. She stopped and glared at the oncoming men and women eyeing her as Ban quickly investigated the streets, then returned.

This place is so brutal... Jericho thought as she waited for Ban to finish his exploration, even the kids are stealing and running from getting beat up. This is... this is horrible.

She looked in pity at a young child, all skin and bones, who was scrambling down the street, holding as many loaves of bread they could fit in their arms. A large man, fat and wearing nicer clothing than most of the people there, was chasing after them, swinging a large bat with a beat-red face. Nobody even batted an eye.

She was about to step forward and rescue him, reaching for her sword, but the Fox Sin stepped out just in time, grabbing her arm and stopping her. She glared, and he stared back indifferently.

"C'mon," Ban said, pulling her down the street where the fat man was bounding up.

Jericho eyed the man, who was approaching the two of them. She followed Ban forward, and when the man came waddling next to them, her foot jutted out. He went flying, his face and large belly dragging painfully across the ground as he skidded to a halt. The child he was chasing whirled around, looking form Jericho to the man in unadulterated shock. She smiled smally at him, and he beamed back.

Ban looked at the three of them and rolled his eyes, yanking Jericho along to follow him. When the large man looked up, they had disappeared behind a crowd of people further up the street.

They walked in silence for a while, stopping for Ban to check streets, then returning to walking down the main road. After a while, they both began to notice music playing cheerfully. When they got closer, it almost sounded as if there were a party or festival going on.