74

"I'm sorry!"

I shouted exuberantly as I ran to the kingdom, still shoving on one of my shoes. I stumbled backward, rolling through the crowd and landing in the center. Meli, Merlin, Gowther, and Hawk were all line up in front of King Bartra and Ellie, who held a pillow with several medals on it. I landed directly between Meli and Merlin, flat on my back with my left and right shoe fully on. I scrambled up as a loud whistle sounded from the crowd, a strategic pebble-kick causing a loud exclamation of pain to echo from the same direction. I saluted Bartra and Ellie hurriedly.

"I'm sorry I'm late! I slept in!" I said, comical tears falling down my cheeks as I hung my head.

"(Y/N)!" Diane huffed, "You had one job!"

"Sorry, I was sleeping!" I huffed, crossing my arms and stomping my foot. "It's not my fault bed are stupidly peaceful and horrendously alluring!"

"At least (y/n) arrived here, King and Ban seem to be entirely absent, without any sign of approach," Gowther spoke, looking back at the entrance, over the large crowd surrounding us. I noticed Diane seemed a little disappointed. "We heard your shriek at the Boar Hat from here, but it seems they are not at the bar at all."

"Geez, Gowthy, you're meaaaannn," I whined playfully, then laughed broadly. I absentmindedly tied my messy hair into a ponytail.

"(Y/N), you're in front of his majesty," Merlin sighed, a smile still playing on her lips. I gasped exuberantly.

"Oh! My goodness! Excuse me! Your almighty kingship!" I bellowed, bowing down extravagantly. "Forgive my despicable behavior in front of someone of your stature! You have my deepest gratitude for inviting me to such a sociable event!"

"Oh, stand up," Bartra scoffed, making me laugh as I stood. I stuck my tongue out playfully, and both he and Merlin rolled their eyes.

Yup.

I'm the problem child.

"Ahem," the King cleared his throat, silencing the whispers of the crowd around us. 'Why are they getting a medal?' 'They don't deserve it!' "The Eight Deadly Sins, alongside the Knights of... Leftovers Disposal! I hereby bestow upon you a recognition for your protection of our kingdom from the recent menace that threatened the lives of both our Holy Knights and citizens."

Ellie stepped forward, ready to present us with the medals, but I believe everyone in the group caught the whispers resume in the crowd. I glared to the side, silencing a few of them, but there were still a few brave souls saying that we didn't deserve this. I mean, we saved their asses- maybe they're just too salty to admit it. 'Nobody can be more powerful than us' or some other bull.

"Objection!" Meli shouted, and I snickered, smirking. It seemed he was going to act on it.

"Overruled!" I said playfully, and he swatted me across the head.

"To the award bestowment!" He continued, almost as though I hadn't spoken at all. What a meanie.

"Wh.. what?" The king asked, confused, as he looked over our group. I nodded in agreement, Merlin smirked, Gowther stayed stoic, Hawk continued eating from his scraps bowl, and Diane smiled brightly.

"That's what some of you guys wanted me to say, right?" He asked, turning back to face the crowd of people who had come to watch, or gossip during, the ceremony. Flames appeared above the heads of several people on the crowd, who froze upon seeing them overhead. "To you guys who are whispering behind all of our backs, we can hear you. So if you have something to say, say it. You should be able to tell by now that we aren't afraid of confrontation."