77

The room was still and quiet, no movement. The shutters on the windows were closed, the room dark, dreary, and heavy with sadness, emanating from your sickly body, which lay sprawled across the bed. The only sounds in the room were the quiet breathing from two people, not even the sounds of outside birds, construction, or bustling people could penetrate the thick cloud of dread that had settled comfortably over the room. It didn't seem to have any intention of leaving. Neither did Diane.

You hadn't moved in an hour. Neither had Diane.

Nobody was willing to give up on you just yet. So obviously, neither was Diane.

She was sitting patiently next to you in the bed, your hand clutched safely within her trembling one. She was scared- terrified. Your outburst from earlier... she hated to think it, but your tears didn't seem so irregular anymore. It seemed that you always found something to be sad about. She always wanted to help you get over it- she didn't need to know, she didn't need to talk, she didn't need to do anything. All she needed to do was get you out of whatever place was making you so upset; whatever mindset was making you feel such overwhelming despair that you wanted to just... give up.

However, this time it was different.

This time you were scared. There was something different about your tears.

This time... Diane needed to put you right back.

She wasn't going to deal with this bullshit anymore- she was sick of being so uninformed. She was going to know what caused that earthquake. She was going to know why you and the captain got so upset after feeling it. She was going to know how to stop it.

You were her best friend- never would she want to harm or upset you in any way- but she needed to know. She needed to know how and why she was going to protect you and the rest of the Sins.

Except maybe Ban.

Yeah, he can fend for himself.

Diane squeezed your hand tighter, more to reassure herself than anything. When she felt your hand twitch against hers, she quickly yanked her hand away, thinking she may have hurt you. She realized, much to her silent embarrassment and relief, that you were not injured, merely waking up.

You let out a groan, adjusting your limbs as you stretched. After a few moments of post-sleep contentment, your eyes shot open upon realization, your body sitting upward in fright as you panted, eyes darting around the room as you clutched your heart.

"Woah, calm down, (y/n), you're safe!" Diane ushered quickly, standing up and putting her hands on your shoulders.

"Where are we?" You demanded, your eyes fearful. "Where is everyone else- are they okay? Oh, fuck... are they already here? Please don't tell me their all dead..."

"What? No!" Diane said, face scrunched up in confusion. "We're in the tavern. Captain and the others are still in the Capitol- they definitely aren't dead." She paused, her face ridden with worry as she stared down at you. "...why would they be... dead?"

Your panting had calmed, but your eyes were wide and alert, darting occasionally to the windows and door. Your muscles were tensed, and even without hearing it, Diane could tell that your heart was beating fast enough to escape your chest. Your face was pale, almost no color on your bleak, (s/t) skin. You were terrified.