96

It had been three weeks since the attack of the Ten Commandments, three grueling weeks. They had taken over Camelot, using it as their hub and main base. Grey and Red Demons dominated every region, devouring souls by the thousands, going village, to town, to city. People all around the kingdom fought against them, especially Holy Knights.

However, they were now being targeted, used as bribes to the Commandments to save the lives of villagers for periods of times. People turned against them, and their numbers dwindled harshly. Only those who fought outside of towns or had immense power survived. 

The majority of the Sins were out fighting, keeping small towns safe and trying to reclaim Camelot. They and several other powerful beings slaved away daily, hardly getting any sleep as they fought relentlessly. The remaining Holy Knights joined them or fought with others outside of their group. 

Elizabeth continued her life in the Boar Hat, she served and gave refuge to Holy Knights, hiding away in the Forest of White Dreams and saving any Knights who made their way there. She used extra rooms, which had belonged to the Sins to harbor those who were injured.

The war raged on, never ceasing. It seemed nobody had time to breathe anymore. In the beginning, when they did, they broke down in tears. Though they were exhausted, most people found themselves thankful for the lack of lulls. They kept themselves busy- constantly fighting and draining themselves left no room to focus on the immense loss in their hearts.

Their chests ached every moment where their attention wavered, the faces of those who had fallen flashing across their eyes. They quickly lost the hurt when another enemy or problem came along, to which they were grateful. Some found themselves elongating battles, even, just to prevent from losing any adrenaline pumping through their veins.

Elizabeth let out a breath of relief, a long day of work over and done with. She looked over to Hawk, who began cleaning up. She was going to ask if he needed any help, but he beat her to the punch.

"Elizabeth, I'm fine! I do this every stinkin' day," He huffed, his face softening, seeing her standing next to the stairs in anticipation. "Go."

She smiled thankfully, rushing up the stairs to the backmost rooms of the bar. There were three separate rooms, each with a sign posted upon them saying "Do Not Disturb." They were the three smallest rooms, but the only ones she could spare. So many Knights needed homes, so she had to relocate their occupants. 

She walked into the first room, closing the door gently behind her. She walked up to the open window, closing it, but leaving the curtains open. She walked over to the bed, where the small form of Elaine lay, alone. 

She sighed, reaching over to her forehead. She pulled off the now dry towel, dipping it in a small bucket of water on the nightstand and wringing it out until it was damp. She placed it atop her head once again, pulling her blanket off and looking her over for wounds. Just as she had for the last three weeks, she found none.  She healed up and down her body again, just to be sure, focusing on her head and chest, where internal injuries were most common. She placed a hand on the girl's cheek, sighing as it gently ran down her face. 

She stood up, brushing her skirt down before walking out of the room. As she closed the door, she pressed her head against the wood. She pressed her eyes shut, exhaling shakily. She had yet to show any progress, and her confidence was dwindling. Three weeks of uselessness could really get to a person. She knew the process would be slow, and she told herself she would wait at least a month before starting to give up. But... she had expected something by now. She never thought it would get this far with nothing.

She pulled away from the door, letting her hand linger on the doorway until she got too far from in. She walked to the next room, just next door to that one. She pushed he open the wooden door quietly, knowing that she wouldn't be bothering the man inside.