Chap. 9: Flowers For Katie, Not Hannah

(Picture of Katie Morgan above)
*Katie's POV*

                  Hannah had me running up and down St. Laura, California (made up town, I think? 🤔). I did her work while she got mad drunk over another failed engagement due to her unfaithfulness and party girl streak. I even helped Hannah get home save and tucked her into bed after she broke down and cried in my lap. It was so sad and pathetic. Truly, it was. But I made it past those two hard days. Hannah gave me four days off this week considering she is going to Las Vegas to dig her nose into more trouble than she really needs. She's really losing it.
So I decided not to call Chris back. Our date ended badly once again and I don't feel like we can recover from that. I don't see how we could. It seems like we both want different things. Chris wants a girl like Hannah and I want somebody normal. Maybe I should give Hannah Chris's number. She certainly wouldn't mind a millionaire fiancé, fancy dinners, nice dresses, and diamonds galore. I just want somebody who wants more simple things and do more simple things that doesn't involve too much money. I know when you travel, you spend a lot of money but that's really all I would spend big money on.
As I stare at the clock, counting down every minute until my four day vacation away from Hannah, I hear the dog of the elevator. I look over to see a man walking up to my desk. He has a beautiful bouquet of red roses.
"She hasn't even left for Vegas and she already has an admirer—" I say under my breath so nobody can hear me "Hello, I can give these to Miss Strikes."
The man gives me a paper and I sign it quickly, walking to Hannah's office. I knock on the door and wait for her to respond.
"Come in." She calls.
When I walk in, she is sketching out her newest creation. She doesn't even look up at me. I clear my throat, hoping to cheer her up.
"You have a present, Miss Strikes." I say teasingly, "From an admirer."
Hannah looks up and freezes. Her brown eyes bulge out of her head and she drops her pencil. She quickly snatches the roses from my hands.
"Oh! Is it from my darling Austin? Or Richard? Or Brad?" Hannah fawns over the roses.
I begin to walk out, leaving her to her newest fling. But Hannah calls me back.
"Katie?" I turn and look at Hannah, "These roses are—for you?"
Confused, I march back over and take the little note from the roses. I read each word carefully. It reads:

Katie,

I apologize for my behavior Friday night. Hopefully you like roses. Please meet me at Restaurant de Paris on Wednesday at 7 a.m. Please wear something nice but not too fancy.

Sincerely,

C. P. E.

HOLY CRAPORITO! The flowers are for ME!? I guess the second date wasn't a total bust after all. Biting my lip happily, I can't help but lightly sway. I guess Chris liked my guts.
Hannah clears her throat. "Who is this C. P. E.? Is he the same guy who you took off for on Friday?"
"Yeah, his name is Chris Eaton—" I am cut off.
"WAIT! Chris Eaton? As in, like, Gagillionaire Chris Eaton who funds the homeless and hungry children programs Chris Eaton?" Hannah says with a wild look in her eyes.
"Yup, he's the one." I nod awkwardly.
Hannah stares at me in shock, her mouth wide open. "Where did you meet him?"
I shrug. "At a club downtown. He just walked up to me and asked if I would go on a date."
Hannah crosses her arms. "Well, then, I guess, these belong to you then. Is this the second date?"
I don't like the way Hannah said that. I can hear the jealousy in her voice, and I don't blame her. Quickly but not too grabby, I take the roses and hold them. I hate roses, I would give them to Hannah. But something tells me that I shouldn't have even told her who C.R.E. is.
"No, this makes our third." I say awkwardly.
Hannah blinks. "Oh? That seems—sweet."
I nod. "Well, I better get back to my desk. I have to set up your appointment with Dr. Zazzle Dazzle (yes I named a character that, it is his professional name) for when you get back from Vegas."
Hannah slowly nods. "Alright then."
I put the roses on my desk and snarl my nose at them. I really hate roses. Especially red ones. Yuck!