Chap. 89: It Was Bad

(Picture of Chloe Ann Eaton and doggo, Fox)
*Katie's POV*

        Everyone's eyes are on mine. Mixed expressions everywhere. Lauren's is my favorite.
         Lauren's face is a look of horror. "Language! There is a child present."
             "Do NOT tell me you got another mess maker for me to clean up." I say annoyed, "Please tell me this is not Chloe's surprise."
             Steven turns to Lauren sharply, something I've never seen him do. "See? I told you we should have told them first!"
               "And what if it is?" Lauren crosses her arms. "You won't deny my gift. Chloe obviously already loves the little darling."
                "Lauren," I say with heated cheeks "that big ball of fur is bigger than me. I don't think Chloe can handle that type of responsibility."
                 "And you do?" Oh that does it!
                With balled up fist, I start towards Lauren but Chris steps in front of me. His hands firmly hold me on place, his breath uneven.
               "Chloe," Chris says over his shoulder "time for bed, Bebe."
                "Can Fox sleep with me?" Fox? Is that what that thing is? "I can use him as a pillow."
                "It has a name?! No, I just gave you a bath." I say quickly, "Chloe, go wash your hands and face. Then go to bed."
               "Katie, Bebe—" Chris starts.
                "You don't know where that dog has been." I continue annoyed, "Go wash up and go to bed."
                 "Yes, Mama." Chloe waves at everyone before running to her bedroom.
                  Lauren crosses her arms at me, propping a hip. "You're being exceptionally rude."
                "And you didn't ask me if I was okay with Chloe having a pet that could eat her alive?"
               "Oh, don't be ridiculous!" Lauren walks past us, the white fuzz ball walking with her on a leash. "Copper is cute and all but is he really right for Chloe? He was so aggressive when Chris first got him."
                  Chris pushes the hair off my shoulders, glaring at his mother's comment. I start to whisper something to Chris but he shushes me softly before pulling me into the living room. Copper's whines an be heard through the back door glass door. He spins and whines, occasionally scratching at the door.
          Chris sits me down on his lap, his hands holding me in my place so I won't rip Lauren's hair out. Who does she think she is, huh? Chloe is 3'11! This fancy purebred's ears come up to my belly button. He could eat her alive if he got hungry enough. I shiver as this ball of white fuzz drools all over my floor. I gag.
           "When is Loni and Andrew supposed to be here?" Lauren says lazily, scratching the dog's ears. "We have news to tell."
           "What news?" Chris says concerned, his hand holding the curves of my waist.
           "You're mother and I are getting—"
           "Wait for Loni and Andrew, Steven." Lauren glares at Steven.
           Steven rolls his eyes. "—divorced."
           "DIVORCED?!" Chris screams, his blue eyes popping out of his head.
            "Whoa, I thought you two were happy?" I say confused, "I thought you two were taking a trip to Italy next Fall for your anniversary slash Thanksgiving?"
             Lauren shakes her head. "I'm done with your father, Chris. He is incompetent and I'm sick of pretending to enjoy myself!"
             Okay, eww. I scrunch up my face at the thought. Wait! If Steven is incompetent, then how do they have three children? Then it hits me.
               "You've been cheating." I say softly, my eyes wide.
             Lauren glares at me. "What are you babbling on about now?"
              "Mom!" Chris shouts at her annoyed.
               "If Steven is incompetent, then how do you have three kids? You must have cheated or this is a new thing." I say loud and clear, shutting Lauren up. "Did I stutter, Lauren?"
                "Mom, is that true?" Chris says softly, his hands shaking. I hold them in mine. "Is Dad not my dad?"
                "Well—" Lauren starts.
                Chris immediately rises to his feet, taking me with him. My husband walks around to the back of the recliner chair and paces. I plop down onto the chair, hating how every time Lauren comes over, she always starts stuff. Those three to four years living with her was a complete and total nightmare. Thank God I'm out of that hellhole.
             "I couldn't have children." Steven announces, pausing. "Chris, you're mother wanted a big family and I couldn't give it to her."
             "So you let her commit adultery?" Chris says annoyed, "She abandoned us and made you take care of us, Dad. How could you even look at her—"
            Chris's hands grip the top of the recliner. I want to put my hand on his, to comfort him. But I'm afraid he's past any warmth or forgiveness.
               "Your mother slept with our neighbor a few times and you happened." Steven says calmly, picking at his hands. "Then Andrew."
             "Loni?" I say softly.
               "I finally got my PHD in the medical field and I was able to access fertility pills. It took a few years, but Loni came along."
               "But Chris and Loni look so much alike? More than Drew." I say confused.
                  Steven shrugs. "Chris may be mine. I don't know. We would have to take a DNA test."
                Chris runs a hand over his face. "Could this night get any worst?!"
           "I'm pregnant with three possible baby daddies whom I cannot getvin contact with." We all turn to see Loni and Andrew standing in the threshold with Chloe in Andrew's arms.
              And I won't explain how the rest of the night went. Only that Chloe, Copper, and I slept in the master bedroom while Chris argued half the night over his mother's adulteress ways with his family. It was bad.

Lauren and Steven are getting a divorce

Loni announces her pregnancy to parents and they freak out.