Chap. 62: Serious Business

(Picture of Katie above)
* Katie's POV *
~three weeks later~

My throat burns as I vomit up bile from my stomach into the doctor's office bathroom toilet. I've been nauseous off and on for at least two weeks now. Some days, I do fine and I can go about my regular schedule, but there are days when I can barely make it without rushing to the toilet or a trash can. On my first day at my new job at Christopher Eaton Enterprises, I vomited in Chris's metal trashcan, not realizing that it had little holes at the bottom. Yeah, yikes. These past two to three weeks have been awful! My body aches, especially my breast, and I'm fatigued (tired) more than normal.
I wipe my mouth and splash some water on my face. I pay my face down with a paper towel. When I open the door, I can see a mini line had formed while I was inside. I murmur an apology as I take my urine sample to the desk. The lady at the front desk gives me a sympathetic look.
"Poor dear." She says to me as she puts a glove on to touch my sample, "We will call you as soon as we get a result. Go home and get plenty of rest. And Drive safe!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~four days later~

Today when I woke up, I felt better and was able to have shower sex with Chris for the first time in three weeks in four days. He stayed over at my apartment because he has hardly seen me since this illness has happened. I've been staying home sick and his mother wouldn't let him come over and I agreed with her. But last night, Chris showed up with chicken noodle soup, Saltine crackers, and Dear John. I fell asleep on his chest as we cuddled.
            For the past hour, because I am actually his personal assistant and not his secretary, I've been running to get Chris's dry cleaning, his lunch, Copper to the groomers, and picked up groceries for our dinner.
            As I sit and wait for the groomers to be done with Copper, I get a phone call. I expect it to be Chris or Tara, whose been bugging me about how the girls and I never hangout anymore. But not either of them. It's the clinic.
          "Hello?" I answer.
          "Yes, am I speaking to Miss Katie Isabella Morgan?" The lady on the other end says, "We have her test results back from the lab."
           "Oh, yes! Yes! This is she." I say, relieved to finally have answer to my mysterious illness. "What did you find?"
          "We set up an appointment for you this afternoon, will that be alright? We need to discuss this in person." Whoa, it sounds serious. "You will need to be at the OB/GYN at 4:15, is that alright?"
         "Yes, yes." I slowly nod, fear rising in my chest. "Can you tell me what's the cause of my illness?"
           "You can talk to your OB/GYN. Come to the front office and state your name and we'll give you a number." The lady says on the other end, "Other Ethan that I am not legally allowed to talk about your file."
            Oh, yeah, cause I'm just a few papers in a plastic file! I roll my eyes annoyed.
               "Okay, I'll be there." I say grumpily, hanging up.
               Suddenly, Copper comes running to me, licking my hands and face. I check Copper out at the front desk, using Chris's credit card for the pet groomers payment.
             "Have you been a good boy, Copper?" I say to him, smiling.
            The mutt pants and sticks out his tongue, drool. I wince at the sight. Yuck! Drool. After I sign out, I take Copper to the car. I sit there for the longest time, my stomach starting to hurt. No, no, no, no! I take my phone out and dial Chris's number. He answers on the third ring.
            "Hey Baby, why did you call my office—" Chris says casually, sexy.
              "Chris, I have to take off this afternoon." I can't help but grip the steering wheel nervously, "They have my results in and I have to go into the OB/GYN at 4:15."
              "Did they tell you what your illness was?" Chris says slowly, more worried than sexy.
              "No. That's why I have to go to the OB/GYN." I scratch Copper's ear, "I'll take Copper home and get the groceries for tonight before the appointment."
             "It sounds serious." Chris says in a small voice.
            I chuckle. "Yes, spaghetti sauce and garlic bread really is a serious deal."
             "Katie," Chris says serious "call when you find out something."
               I smirk. " 'Kay boss."