Chap. 17: A Poor Unfortunate Soul

(Picture of Tara James Above)
*Katie's POV*

Last night, I couldn't sleep because of what Chris told me. I tried to think through all the pros and cons of the situation. Like, say, if I quit my job and Chris and I broke up, it would be hard to volunteer again for his company because he'd be one of my bosses. But if I don't quit, Hannah will get crazier and crazier until I can't handle it no more. And I am about to blow my top. She called me this morning and told me that she needed her new designs for her clients shipped out ASAP.
              "What does Chris expect me to do?" I say to Tara and Halee, who sit on my couch.
"It sounds like a good job offer." Tara says hopefully, "Besides, don't they pay their volunteers? Isn't that why their business is so big and booming?"
I nod, sipping on my hot cocoa. "Yeah. BUT if Chris and I broke up, it would be too weird to volunteer anymore."
Halee shrugs. "I would still quit."
My phone buzzes. I groan, knowing it's Hannah to remind me how to do my job. Halee grabs it and checks it, her face scrunching up with disgust.
"She really needs to get a life." Halee says annoyed.
My phone buzzes again. Halee's brown eyes go wide with curiosity, her lips the perfect shape of an O. Tara and I exchange a confused expression.
"What is it?" I say to Halee.
"You know, it's not nice to read other peoples messages." Tara says as she sips on her vegan tea, Halee snarls at her. "Well it's not."
"Katie has a love text from Chris." Halee makes kissy faces at me, "It says 'I miss you'."
A goofy grin appears on my face. Tara beams at with me while Halee shakes her head. My phone buzzes again. I can't help but wonder who it's from.
"Now lover boy says 'My turn. Bowling this Saturday at 4'. Damn, you two have gone out every week." Halee gives me the brows, "He is OBVIOUSLY smitten with our Katie, Tara."
             Tara fake sniffs. "Katie's growing up too fast."
              I roll my eyes at them, taking my phone back. I text Chris back and told him that it sounds fun. As Tara, Halee, and I sit here and talk, I can't help but miss Chris. I know we haven't spent but what little time we have spent together, but I enjoy being around him. I guess it's because he's the first guy I've gone out with. I don't quite know. But what I do know is that I have to be careful. My heart can be broken just as easily as it can be stolen.
          "Tristin and I leave for Hawaii tomorrow." Halee says annoyed, "He's bringing his weird friend along. So romantic."
I chuckle. "Isn't he the one who has an embarrassing crush on you?"
Halee nods her head, laying down on the couch. "Yup. That's the one."
Tara chuckles. "Does Tristan know?"
Both Halee and I answer this one. "Yup and doesn't care."
Tara's face twist with disgust. She sets her cup of tea down and covers her mouth. I massage Halee's feet, making her kick at me since she's so ticklish there.
"What am I going to do? I know Tristin and Jerry are just going to eat and play mini golf the whole time. I wanted to go exploring with Tristian and get massages and take pictures while at the beach." Halee says over dramatically upset, "Katie, if Chris ever ask you go to anywhere with him, make sure none of his friends or any of his ex's are going."
I cant help but smile at this poor, unfortunate soul. So sad, so true. But there is nothing I can do. Wow, did I just say the lyrics to a Little Mermaid song? Tara is rubbing off of me.
I check my phone, smiling at the text from Chris. I wonder what my pet name will be. I would hate it if he called me Honey or Doll or something dirty like Kitten. I shiver at the thought. Halee's boyfriend calls her Princess and she calls him Puddin. Kinda cute, not what I would want to be called. Princess is too much, plus if we had a daughter he would call her Princess and that would change for me. So I hope it's not Princess either. He probably doesn't think I am one anyways. And here's another thought, what should I call him? I mean, it feels weird to call him Baby or Hun. Casanova, maybe.