Chap. 47: The Most Generous Man On This Side Of The Bay

(Picture of Chris Eaton and Katie Morgan Above)
*Katie's POV*

My heart is pounding, the palms of my hands are sweaty. Internally I am freaking out! Today, after waiting for all those months to get officially approved and volunteering at Tara's Sweet Treats and cleaning a few apartments, I start my new job at Blue Reads Company. God, I'm so nervous!
Chris holds the building door open for me, smiling as I walk on through with my purse. I had borrowed a dress from Adora so I would be more presentable on my first day. It's a bit snug around my buttock area. I smooth down my dress for what seems the millionth time. Chris takes my sweaty hand in his. I look up into his blue eyes.
"Stop fidgeting, Baby." Chris mischievously puts his hand on my butt, "You're beautiful."
"You know," I blush madly at his actions "you don't have to walk me in. I can do that myself."
Chris shrugs. "I need to see if my Princess is going to be taken care of."
I blush madly, looking to the floor shyly. Chris pulls me closer to him. I wonder if he can feel my beating heart through my dress. I was told through the phone that I would be working in the grammar correcting part of the publishing unit. Basically, I correct any misspellings or grammar errors so the book can be published. I can do that... I hope.
Chris holds the door open for me to the office. I walk on through to the desk. The woman at the front desk glares up at me. I try to smile.
"Hello, I'm Katie Morgan." I say happily, "Today is my first day in the... Editing Unit?"
The woman rolls her eyes at me before her eyes look behind me. Her hazel eyes grow wide, her lips forming an 'O'. I can smell Chris's cologne from behind me.
"Hello, can I help you sir?" She says with a huge smile, her hazel eyes glittering.
"Yes, I need to speak with your Supervisor, Don Blanchard." Chris says warmly, putting his hand on my waist. "My wonderful, gorgeous, intelligent girlfriend here, Miss Katie Morgan, is starting her first day."
"Oh!" The woman smiles at me, "How nice! I will get Mr. Blanchard for you."
The woman quickly stands up and rushes towards the back of the office. I briefly look around to all the people in the room. A few men look up at us but they go back to their jobs. Chris squeezes my waist, making me even more nervous.
"It's going to be okay." Chris whispers to me, smiling softly.
I let out a shaky breath. "I know."
"Then don't look so nervous, Baby." Chris says softly, his warm hand burning through my dress to my skin. "You'll finally get to use your English degree."
"Chris!" A voice booms from behind us, making me jump. "Chris Eaton!"
When we turn around, I can see everyone's eyes on us. A man with blue eyes and dyed blonde hair walks up with the tall, brown hair, and hazel eyed lady. I'm assuming the man is my new boss, Mr. Don Blanchard. And suddenly, it's like I'm invisible. The man slaps Chris hard on the back, hugging him tightly. The woman shoots daggers in my direction. Why is she being so rude to me?
"I am SO glad to finally meet the most generous man on his side of the bay." Mr. Blanchard says to Chris, "So, what can I do for you today Mr. Eaton?"
"I just wanted to make sure my wonderful girlfriend is being taken care of." Chris turns to me, his hand extending for mine. "Mr. Blanchard—"
"Please! Call me Donnie." Mr. Blanchard says to Chris, obviously fake.
"—Donnie, this is Miss Katie Morgan." Chris smiles down at me warmly, his hand holding onto mine. "My sweetheart."
I blush at his sweet words. When I look to Mr. Blanchard, my new quickly looks me up and down slightly displeased before extending a hand. I shake his pathetic grip of a hand, making him wince.
"You've got quite the grip there, Miss Morgan." Mr. Blanchard says to me, "We are very glad to have you with us."
"Thank you so much, I'm glad to be here." I offer a smile in hopes to make him more cheerful, it doesn't work.
Mr. Blanchard turns to the woman. "Miss Smithers, please show Miss Morgan where she will be working."
"Yes, sir." Miss Smithers nods.
Chris puts his hand on my back. "I'll pick you up for lunch, okay?"
I nod slowly, feeling nervous. I have a bad feeling about his place, deep in my bones I do. Chris kisses my cheek before I follow Miss Smithers. Gag me, please. What did Mr. Blanchard mean by 'the most generous man on this side of the bay' ? Weird. All I know is that my nerves are everywhere and I wish I could hide under my new desk and scream into the trashcan.

Sorry the chapter so short!