Chap. 58: That Time Has Come To An End

(Picture of Martinez Sisters above)
*Katie's POV*

            Have you ever just felt dead inside? Like you couldn't even move or speak you felt so lifeless inside? Yes, well, that's how I felt while I dragged my feet inside the funeral home. I could hear Conway Tweety and Elvis Presley songs playing from the front of the home. Chris partially held me up as we stumbled into the funeral home. My heart breaks into a million different pieces as I see my Aunt Barb's dead body lay in her casket at the alter. Chris takes my violently shaking hands, guiding me forward into the funeral home.
"It's okay, Baby." Chris kisses my cheek sweetly, nodding to a lady I don't recognize nearby. "I'm right here."
"I don't think I can do this, Chris." I say with a quivering voice, "I think I'm going to be sick!"
"Shh!" Chris says in my ear, "You're just upset."
I look down at the floor, tears falling down my cheeks. Chris guides me to the front of the funeral home, where my disease of a family is already seated. Aunt Carmen loudly cries over her black vail. I sit next to Carmella and Logan, whom I am not ashamed to call my family. My Mama waves, but only Chris waves back. Papa doesn't even turn to look at us but I know that he is aware that we are in his presence. And I'm thankful because he made such an ass of himself yesterday. YES! I cussed. And why shouldn't I, huh?
           I am COMPLETELY and UTTERLY EMBARRASSED by my father's behavior yesterday. He had no right to be so rude to Chris, but I'm not too happy with Chris smarting off to him either. I understand that he was defending himself and standing up for what he stands for as a man and a businessman, but I feel like he just pushed a bit too far. I'm so embarrassed with my Papa, Chris, Aunt Paula, Paulina, And Aunt Carmen that I am nauseous. If Aunt Barb has been there yesterday, she would have yanked Papa and Chris's ears and would have made them apologize for showing their behinds until they meant it. My Aunt Barbára was one tough Señorita, I'll tell you. But actually, she wouldn't have even accepted the fact my father was being rude to Chris the moment Chris and I stepped through the door. AND Aunt Barb would have gave Papa an earful about not even speaking but just a few words to me since I arrived yesterday.
          The Priest goes up to the alter ad begins to talk. I dare at the lit candles so I don't have to listen to his words. As I stare at the fire, Carmella laces her fingers with mine. It brings me comfort, along with Chris holding me so tightly close to him. Still feeling guilty over the ordeal from yesterday, hating how he lost his cool and tried to defend himself but just made the situation worst. And how do I know Christopher Eaton of Christopher Eaton Enterprises feels that way? Chris made sure we were the first to leave my parents house before any of my other relatives yesterday afternoon and we didn't speak until the lights were off early last night. I didn't want to talk at all, I could barely, but the sobs that I couldn't hold back anymore broke through the barrier I had created while everyone had become silent after Chris had showed my Papa up in Papa's own house. And Chris made me talk through his torture that consists of soft kisses and holding me close to him. Then he begged me to put the gorgeous engagement ring HE ACTUALLY HAD BROUGHT WITH HIM!!!!! I hate for Chris to spend ANY amount of money on me. I mean, this ring must have cost a fortune! But Chris and my papa has deeply upset me in a time of deep sorrow and mourning, so I accepted it like a spoiled rich girl who is never satisfied. Never said Thank you or cries at how thoughtful he is. Nope. Just took it and shoved it on my finger and turned over and faked sleep. Yeah, a pretty crappy thing to do. But I also wanted to piss Paulina off, so win-win!
         I should have told Chris that showing a man up in his own home is dishonorable in both Spanish AND Italian culture. Or for any culture that is. This is not how I wanted to spend this week in Texas, but I'm not surprised. Not in the slightest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

         I sit in the back of the room, watching everyone cry and talk about how beautiful the funeral was. Chris talks with my mother, Logan, Carmella, Julio, and a few other people I don't know. Dad has disappeared. God knows where he's at.
         "Aww, is the bebé sitting all alone?" Annoyed, I turn to see Paulina standing there with a cup of God knows what.
           Aunt Paula and Aunt Carmen join her with Penelope. Suddenly, I wish for Chris or my mother to come over here. I feel like I'm being ganged up. Paulina gives me a smile that sends chills up and down my spine. I roll my eyes at her and turn away.
         "It's REALLY sad that you have stooped this low, prima (female cousin)." Paulina takes a look in her drink, "You've always been a selfish little bitcha."
          I snarl at Paulina, she's just jealous. She is jealous because I am happy and in love and she can't do any better than a "I'll do anything for 20 bucks".  Paulina and Aunt Carmen step behind Aunt Paula, making my heart pound. My Aunt Paula forcefully grabs my wrist and jerks me towards her. Her bloodshot eyes stare deep into mine.
         "You bring dishonor to this family, pequeña bruja! (you little witch!)" Aunt Paula's grip is tight and her nails cut into my skin, I try to pry her hands off but I'm too weak. "Barbára treated you like a granddaughter and THIS is how you repay her? Bringing a Gringo over half your age to this tragic event when you knew it would bring dishonor to your Papa and Mama! Pequeña puta egoísta (selfish little whore). You don't deserve Barbára's life savings and her house. You deserve to be thrown in the lakes of fire with your Gringo."
             Tears fall down my cheeks as blood is drawn from my wrist. Aunt Paula shoves me back, spitting at me as she puts the vail back down onto her face. My evil Aunt and her wench daughter walks away, giving me the evil eye. Aunt Carmen gives me a disgusted look, looking me over.
          "That Gringo over there" Aunt Carmen points to Chris who is talking with my mother, who is staring over at us worriedly "is going to break your heart. You're a pretty girl, indeed, chica, but not beautiful enough to be a billionaire's wife. Oh no! You're a porker, chica. And the cellulite on those thighs are nasty! And to top it off, your tummy pokes out so badly that the cameraman would have to photoshop that nasty frame of yours to make you look like a real, worthy trophy wife such as myself."
           Aunt Carmen starts to walk away but she stops and turns. "Why don't you just cut it off and save yourself the trouble of embarrassment? Huh?"
            My heart breaks into a million pieces and I cannot stop the tears. I want to run to my room and cry on my bed. I want to physically fight Paulina, Aunt Paula, and Aunt Carmen, I could with this heat rising in my chest. I want nothing more than to be comforted by Aunt Barbára and have her tell me that none of it's true and that I'm her favorite and most beautiful niece. But that time has come to an end.