Chap. 30: Meeting The Parents pt. 2

(Picture of Ian Eaton Above)
*Katie's POV*

          So as Chris's family and I all sit around a gorgeous dinner table, silence fills the empty spaces between us. Chris's Uncle Joe pours yet ANOTHER glass of liquor into his iced tea. I look up to see Ian smirking evilly at Chris and I. He winks in my direction, chewing on his chicken. I quickly look away, feeling uncomfortable in this entire situation.
"So, how long have you two been—" Lauren can barely spit out her last word, "dating?"
"For about 3 and a half months now." Chris nods, taking a drink of his beer. "I thought it was about time Katie had met my family."
"Well, shes quite a breathtaking dame to look at." I blush at Uncle Joe's words, "Reminds me of this girl I used to fool around with in Puerto Rico—"
"SO Katie," Lauren cuts Uncle Joe off completely, "what is your ethnicity? Are you from South America or anywhere near Mexico?"
Wow, I'm surprised that I don't get asked that very often anymore. I give her a smile to settle my nerves.
"Actually, I'm from Texas. My mama is from Puerto Rico and my papa was born in Italy but was raised in Philadelphia." I explain, trying to not talk too much. Too late.
Lauren stretches a sour smile. "Oh, do you speak any Spanish?"
In the corner of my eye, Chris gives his mom a look. One that I give my mama sometimes. Just be yourself Katie. Just be yourself!
"No, my mama never taught me any Spanish. I actually failed Spanish in high school." I can't help but smile at my ridiculous class choices in my younger years. "Twice."
"Well, does any of your family live in town?" Lauren presses on, "I would sure love to meet them."
  "My cousin Paulina lives a few towns over." I am talking TOO much, "But everyone else lives in either Texas or Philadelphia."
                Lauren nods. "Well, that's sweet."
                 Suddenly, I feel a big, warm hand grab mine in my lap. I glance over at Chris to see he's glaring at Ian from across the table, whose staring at me like a meal. I blush red. Goodness me, he looks like a lion stalking its prey. And I'm the prey.
"So when did you and this Señorita meet, Christopher?" Steven, Chris's father, says with a mischievous smile "You hardly ever tell where you meet your girlfriends."
I blush once again, but only at the word girlfriend. I never really thought of Chris and I being boyfriend and girlfriend before. It leaves me shakily with anxiety. And I think Chris can feel it.
"Well, Katie and I met at this club down town." Chris says smoothly, "And I was drunk, she obviously wasn't—"
"Obviously? Is she not old enough to drink yet?" Loni chuckles, receiving glares from all the men in the room. "What? It was a joke!"
"—Anyways, before I was rudely interrupted, I was half drunk and I saw her dancing with a few of her friends and I introduced myself." I blush at the memory, "I think we talked a bit before I gave her my number. What did we talk about?"
"Well, for starts, he asked me where the bathroom was." I chuckle, "Then he stayed and talked about how loud the music was in there and how he couldn't hear his own thoughts. And I agreed. That's about how it went before he wrote out his number in chicken scratch."
The guys all make loud 'ooh!' Or 'ahh!'. Chris blushes and smiles at me in a way that makes the zoo in my stomach go wild. I bite my lip and look to my plate. Chris rubs circles on the back of my hand.
"Hey Señorita—" Ian finally speaks after staring
"Yes?" I suddenly realize how soft my voice is, wow.
Ian chuckles smugly at me, making Chris tighten his grip on my hand. Lauren looks between the three of us in clear suspicion, as does Loni.
"Well, ask her damnit!" Uncle Joe bellows annoyed.
"How would you like to come over to my party this weekend? Maybe bring some friends?" Ugh, heck no!
But I can't be rude. "I'll have to check my—"
"—She can't, we're leaving for New York on Friday morning." Chris says smoothly, leaving my body frozen.
I take my hand out of Chris's. He gives me a soft look. I can barely choke my words out.
"We're gonna what now?" I give Chris a confused look, trying to smile. "When were you going to tell me?"
Chris shrugs. "Later. NOT here."
I nod my head slowly. "Oh, okay then."
"I thought you've been dating for a short while now? Isn't this big of a trip kind of sudden? Even Katie seems at shock." Lauren says with wild eyes.
I take a sip of my water. Lauren has a point here. We have been dating for 3 and a half months. NOT YEARS! Oh my. Chris kind of labeled us a boyfriend and girlfriend tonight to his family! How could this night get any more crazy?
Chris shakes his head, taking a bite of his chicken. "I want Katie to be my date to the Children's Hunger annual ball."
I begin to choke on my water, grabbing my napkin to cover my mouth. Chris and Andrew's boyfriend, Scott, both pats my back hard. My eyes tear up and my chest gets tight. I hold up my hands for them to stop. Okay, to make this night even crazier, I JUST NOW learned that I'm going to a ball when I haven't even been asked yet! I turn to Chris flabbergasted and a little winded.
             "A ball? Like with dancing and fancy dresses?" I say in shock, "You NEVER mentioned New York or a fancy dress."
              Chris shrugged. "I wanted to surprise you, considering you always wanted to travel to another state."
             I don't say anything, unsure what to say. Thankfully Chris starts to talk about his two companies and what's next on the agenda.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          For most of the night that Chris and I spent at his parents house, I kept quiet and listened to everyone else. I still feel embarrassed after dinner. It was a small scene. But none of the less, Chris was EXTRA flirty and handsy handsy with me for the rest of the time we were there. I tried to help Lauren clean up but Chris dragged me away. I quickly apologized to her before Chris threw me over his shoulder.
   Before we left his parents house, I overheard Chris and Lauren talking. She had told him that I looked like one of the girls from Hooters and that I seemed stuck up. Also, she thought that I was a young drug mule whose trying to go after his money so I won't be able to go back over the border. It really hurt my feelings, but I honestly expected that after her comment about Chris leaving out a few details about me. I AM younger than Chris. I AM a big chested girl. I DO have Spanish influence and partial Spanish in my blood. But I AM NOT after Chris's money. Only his attention and affection. And Chris defended in just that manner. We soon left after that.