Chap. 56: Meeting The OTHER Family (1/2)

(Picture of Katie's parents, Mark and Mariana Morgan, above)

Yesterday, I had stalled long enough so Chris and I didn't have to go see my family. But Chris forced me to call that next morning to explained that I had arrived and we were staying at a hotel...which didn't end too well with my mom on the other line. She wouldn't let Dad talk to me considering how upset he is over me having a Gringo boyfriend whose, and I quote what my mother quoted from my father, "probably too big for his britches, dyed hair, and considers golf as a sport." Well, Dad did have one thing right, Chris does enjoy going to the golf course.
My nerves are shot. My heart is pounding. Sweat rolls down my back from not only the southern heat, but the fear of all that could go wrong. Everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE from my family, is at my parents house. Their cars are parked in the driveway, yard, and on the side of the road in front of my parents house. Chris paid the Uber driver and we walked to the door, Chris dragging me all the way.
Chris puts a hand on my hip, pulling me into him. "It's going to be okay, Katie. I'm right here."
I nod slowly. "I just hate confrontation and the unsureness of it all."
Chris kisses my temple before we take a step up to the porch. Wow, these are the steps I've sat on since I could sit up by myself. Dad and I would eat watermelon or popsicles, or just have our heart to heart talks on this porch. The memories almost overwhelm me. My hand shakily raises to the doorbell, pausing just millimeters away from letting everyone know I am here. That WE are here.
          "Katie, don't be silly." Chris says to me, lighter than what he should have been.
            I press my finger to the doorbell, the sound of the doorbell ringing. Chris takes my hand in his, our fingers interlacing. I bite my lip nervously.
            "It's going to be okay, Baby." Chris assures me as I hear heels click from inside the house, "I promise you."
              The front door opens to—MY AUNT CARMEN WITH MASCARA STAINED CHEEKS AND LIPSTICK SMEARED ALL OVER HER FACE!!! Whoa. I have NEVER seen my Aunt so low before. Usually she is polished and can barely breath because she forced either Antonio or Carmella into a tight leather dress that makes her breast pooch out. she looks at me first, her eyes slanted then she looks to Chris. Aunt Carmen begins to cry loudly, dramatically. Something I do remember. She turns and stumbles into the house. I give Chris a look as we take a step inside—whoa. It's JUST like how it was when I left for California. I can't help but smile—OH MY GOD I SMELL FRESH HOMEMADE TAMALES!!!!!
           "So-Sobrina K-Katie is here!" Aunt Carmen falls onto the couch dramatically, crying all too loudly, "And it's true, Marco!She brought a Gringo with her!"
          I give Chris an annoyed look, he gives me a small smile. He squeezes my hand, his thumb caressing mine.
"Carmen, what are you going on about a Gringo—" my mama emerges from the kitchen, freezing when she sees me "Mi hija!"
Tears fall down my cheeks as my heart starts to break, seeing my mama for the first time since I moved to California. I let go of Chris's hand and rush over to my mama. She wraps her arms around me, squeezing me tightly. She smells like her sweet perfume and tamale sauce.
"Mama! I've missed you so much." I cry in her arms as she sways me.
"I've missed you too, my desert flower!" Mama kisses my head gently.
Mama lets go of me, tears in her brown eyes. Oh, she's so beautiful! My beautiful mama.
"Mi hija, please introduce me to your friend here." Mama says sweetly, motioning for me to introduce her to my boyfriend. "You know how rude it is for a person to introduce themselves."
I turn to see a smiling Chris, whose staring at us with stars in his eyes. I wipe my tears and reach for Chris's hand. He takes my hand and steps forward.
"Mama, this is my boyfriend, Chris Eaton." I say happily, smiling up at Chris as he beams down at me.
"You're boyfriend? A novio?! Why didn't you call and tell me?" Mama welcomes Chris with a hug, something Aunt Carmen SHOULD have done but I'm glad she didn't. "La bienvenida—it means welcome."
"Well, thank you. I'm very pleased to finally meet Katie's family." Chris says to her, taking my hand in his. "I'm sorry we had to meet under this unfortunate situation. From what I understand, Katie was very attached to her Aunt Barb."
Mama nods. "Sí, Barbàra was more to Katie than just her tía. She was more like her abuela—her grandmother."
Chris nods, "I'm so sorry for your loss."
Mama shrugs, smiling. "Yes, well, Barbára never had good timing. Please, come make a plate and I will introduce you to the family—"
"Mariana, Honey, what was Carmen squalling about—" suddenly my dad emerges from the dining room.
At the sight of my father's cold eyes staring straight at Chris sends chills down my back. He has a killer look in his eyes. My heart pounds hard in my chest. Suddenly, the room is filled with thin air and I cannot breath. I hang onto Chris for support. This will not end well.

~~~~~~~~~~to be continued~~~~~~~~