Chap. 67: I'm Scared

*Third Person POV*

The moment Chris stepped through the front door of his big house, he wanted to go get in his mustang and drive back to the apartment. He could hear his mother, Lauren, shouting in the living room. Andrew appears, a worried look on his face.
         "It's bad, Chris." Andrew says nervously, "It's REAL bad."
          Chris rolls his eyes and walks into the living room to see all of his family that lives near their town all gathered around his living room. Lauren spots her eldest son and marches over to him, hands in baller up fist.
          "HOW COULD YOU RUN OFF AND MARRY THAT TRAMP WITH A BIG ASS WITHOUT EVEN TELLING YOUR FAMILY?!" Lauren's screams in Chris's face, "OR AT LEAST YOUR MOTHER?!"
       Chris wipes the spit from his face, clearing his throat. "I think that's the point in eloping."
         Lauren screams, turning around and crying into her husbands shoulder. Uncle Joe, Loni, and Ian roll their eyes at Lauren's dramatic behavior. Steven, Lauren's husband and Chris's father, gives his son a thumbs up.
         "You did good, son." Steven chuckles as he holds his distressed wife, "You got quite the looker."
          Lauren lightly smacks her husbands chest, glaring up at him. She turns to her eldest son, whose tiredly sitting down next to Andrew's boyfriend, Scott, and Uncle Joe. She crosses her arms tightly.
          "So where is the little gold-digger? Out buying a brand new car or jewelry at Tiffany's with your credit card? Possibly the wedding ring?" Lauren says with narrowed eyes, an angry but cocky look on her face. "Girls like her are going to wring you dry until she can get every last drop."
           "Mom, that's my wife." Chris says annoyed, "And Katie is not like that. She had her own money—well, it's OURS now, but a lot of it was originally hers anyhow."
           "Oh? And so how did she get you to agree to marry her WITHOUT your mother's consent?" Lauren says coldly.
           "Chris is a grown man, Lauren." Uncle Joe growls annoyed, taking a drink of his liquor. "Let him screw his life up at his own will."
         "She didn't even want to marry me in the first place, anyways." Chris rubs his eyes.
           Lauren gives him an offend look. "Then WHY did you marry that piece of trash? And what's wrong with MY son?"
            "Mom, there's more to this than you think—" Andrew warns.
              "Can it, Andrew." Lauren snarls at her youngest son.
              "Then why did you marry her, son?" Steven says confused, "It she didn't want to marry you and—"
           "Katie's pregnant." Chris says, causing the entire room to go silent. "And her body is a dangerous environment for our baby. There's a big chance that she could—I made her marry me. I MADE her marry me, Mom. Katie didn't want to marry me anymore because she's scared that we'll lose the baby. She couldn't even tell me—I had to call the OB/F**KINGGYN to find out!"
           Lauren is silent, staring at her eldest son without emotion. She slowly sits down on the matching chair footstool. Chris nods his head, rubbing his fingers together. Loni looks down at her boots, biting the inside of her cheek. Steven turns and walks over to the glass slide door, staring out at the city.
            "I'm scared." Chris says softly, "And I know you don't know Katie too well, but please. Don't criticize Katie, don't stress her out where I lose her and the baby. I would walk through fire for both of them if that meant the pregnancy would run smoothly and normally.
          Chris continues after a long pause. "I know there's an age gap—I know we don't believe the same and that her family hates me just as much as you hate her, Mom. I know you don't approve of how she looks or where she used to work. But Katie is my world. She makes me happy and I finally have the chance to have the family I've always envied and fantasized about. I would think you would at least support me and be happy that for once in my life, I have screwed up another relationship."
             "I can't say that I don't expect her to be a neglectful mother." Lauren says coldly, "She'll make you do all the work, take care of the baby, take care of the bills and housework—while she's out doing God knows what with God knows who or with who."
             Chris gives her a sharp look. "You know, at one point in our lives, you were a neglectful mother who ran around with Dad's golfing buddies, spending Dad's money while we were being raised by Grandma and Grandpa."
               Lauren's lips tighten, thin. Steven stifles a laugh, clearing his throat with Uncle Joe. Loni looks between everyone confused. She had been too young to remember her mother's wild days.
               "When I get back," Chris stands to his feet "you guys better be gone. I WONT have you stressing out Katie even more than she already is. I want Katie to be as cozy as she can be."
                "Christopher!" Lauren says to him, "How can you talk to us that way?"
               "Easy." Chris rolls his eyes, walking out with Andrew.
               Chris hurries to the Mustang, his mind racing. He knows he has to get an SUV for the new baby, to be safe. He gently runs a hand over his Mustang, sighing heavily at what he feels he has to do. Andrew puts a hand on his brother's shoulder.
                 "I'm sorry, Bro." Andrew says sadly, "Let me drive. You're shaking."
              "I'm just scared at the chances, Drew." Chris says softly, "I don't like NOT having control. I don't know if Katie or the baby is going to be okay."