Chap. 55: Home Sweet Texas

(Picture of Chinese Rangoons that Katie is obsessed with)
*Katie's POV*

When we landed, Chris had gently woke me up. We left the airport and got a Uber all the way to a hotel near my parents house. It's funny, I've memorized every road, every street, every part of Houston. And it's a HUGE place.
When Chris asked why we couldn't stays at his parents house, I had to explain to him that my parents are traditional and doesn't believe a couple should be living or sleeping together before marriage. And for Chris to sleep in my parents house, whom I haven't talked about and whom I'm not married to and also whom is 14 years older than me and who is not religious, that would be a nightmare. It would be a sin in my parents eyes and they wouldn't feel comfortable for Chris to even sleep in the spare bedroom, across from my old room.
After we checked into the hotel and put everything away, I wasn't ready to see my parents yet. No way was I ready for a lecture on how sinful or dishonorable my relationship with Chris is to them. No way, José. So I made Chris take time to this Chinese buffet restaurant I was raised to since birth and made him buy me lunch. It was the first time I really ate since I heard about Aunt Barb's passing. Plus, I forced myself to eat so I wouldn't have to face my family.
"So, Baby, there's a few things I need to explain to you before I let you anywhere near my family." I say as I munch on cream cheese Rangoon, "If any of my cousins call you Gringo, please ignore them."
"Whats Gringo?" Chris says so innocent, so cute.
People turn and look at him. Honestly, I hadn't realized before but Chris is the only white guy in here. There's Asian, obviously, black, but mostly Hispanic people in the restaurant. I give him a look which confuses him.
"Gringo is the Hispanic version of Cracker." I say in a low voice, "It's a Hispanic slur term for being white."
Chris nods, his cheeks turning a light shade of pink. He slurps his noodles up, making me smile. He's so gosh darn cute!
"And I have to warn you," I say cautiously "in the Hispanic culture, there's certain traditions or things that you need to know."
Chris nods. "Okay, what is it Señorita?"
I cringe hard. "Don't call me Señorita."
"Why?" Chris chews slower, worry in his eyes.
"Señorita means..." I get closer to him so only he can hear, "a woman who has not had sex yet. Señora means a woman who has."
Chris awkwardly nods, not saying anything. I don't blame him.
"If any of my older family members put heir arms around you or is standing too close that it's way out of your comfort zone, you may offend them if you pull away." I say cautiously, "Its how they show their gratitude or kindness. But if you don't feel comfortable, I can explain it to them. But if it's any of my cousins, ESPECIALLY my female cousins, you stay clear of them. Do you hear me? I will kill both you and them."
Chris gives me a look. "Is there anything I need to know about your cousins?"
"Well, my hembra cousins are gunk faced sluts besides Carmella and my masculino cousins will try and be funny and do something mean to you." I say annoyed, "My cousin Paulina is such a whore. She'll try to get you to sleep with her the moment she lays eyes on you...if my Aunt Carmen doesn't beat her to it."
Chris begins to cough on his drink. I slap him on the back to help him. He motions for me to stop.
"And your parents think we're sinful?" Chris says dryly, taking a drink of my water.
"There's only one white person in my entire family." I explain, "My cousin Carmella got pregnant with my other cousins best friend, Logan. It was a HUGE ordeal. My Aunt Carmen and Uncle Sal was so ashamed considering Logan was a Senior and Carmella was a freshman in high school, but Logan had been kind of like family anyways. So it ended up being a better deal...after Carmella's miscarriage."
"Sounds awful." Chris says sadly.
"It was." I nod, taking a drink of my water. "But as far as I know, Carmella and Logan are still together."
             Chris nods. "So what is your families names?"
              I nervously laugh. "Are you sure you're ready for that mess?"
              Chris smirks. "Katie, I see a future with you and if you'll have me, I would like to know my in-laws."
                I nod my head, shrugging. "That's cute, but don't propose this week, okay? My family is probably going to have a problem with you for a while. They HATE change."
               Chris nods. "Your father certainly told me how he felt about me over the phone."
               "Well, my parents names are Mark and Marianna Morgan. I'm their only child. I have—had," I begin to tear up, Chris puts a hand on mine "three aunts. Paula is the oldest, my favorite Aunt whom is now—d-dead is Bárbara, then the youngest Martinez sister is Carmen."
             "Any Uncles?" Chris says.
              "Only by marriage. Aunt Barb never married or had children. She was a nun for years until she decided to become nurse." I explain, "The oldest, Paula, her husband Tito died of lung cancer and is been Aunt Paula and and her four kids since I was 10. All but Penelope is older than me."
               Chris nods. "And what about the Aunt you told me to stay clear of—"
               "Carmen? Pff, she was married once before he left her. She cheated on him so many times...I'm not sure Carmella even belonged to Uncle Sal."
            Chris gives me a look, his thoughts on his face. I can't help but agree with him. So I continue.
             "And my cousins are jerks. Paulina is the oldest and the sluttiest." I explain, "Aunt Paula couldn't handle her in high school and she certainly can't handle her now that she lives in California with a thousand men it seems like. She's always with somebody else other than the one we know about.
               "And to be frank, the only ones who I would think you could get along with without a conflict would be my mom. She's nice to everybody. She may not like you because you're older than me... and white, but I'm sure she'll try to welcome you in."
              Chris smiles at me. "I can take some heat."
               I chuckle nervously. "You'll have to."