34 - A Tear [Edited✅]

***

Eric hugs me from behind, "It's over." I whisper, resting the back of my head on his shoulder.

"It is." he agrees.

I feel lighter. Sure I just played an important part in killing the guy but he killed my father in cold blood. The police didn't do it so I did. Justice was prevailed.

"I'm sorry." I apologise to him, turning around to look him in the eyes.

"For what?" he asks, searching my eyes for answers.

"The millions of dollars you lost, you didn't even get a chance at him."

"I'm at peace. I never wanted the money. All I want now and have..." he brushes my hair out of my face and cups my cheek gently, "Is you." he finishes. I smile.

He rests his forehead against mine, "Its time to go, before the police gets here."

I nod and follow him to the elevator. I pull myself together and so does he. When we exit the elevator, the soft music is still playing, fake laughter and smiles and gossip echoes everywhere in this room. It makes me sick to the core.

Eric and I are strangers again as we exit the building. We don't see Thomas Banderas because he fell down from the other side of the building.

He will never be seen again.

We get in the car and as it starts, the tears in my eyes start too. I have blood on my hands. Figuratively.

I feel them shake in my lap. I put them between my legs but they still shake. I close my eyes as memories of the good times returns to me. I feel a tear.

A tear for mum. A tear for dad. A tear for Mel. A tear for Ben. A tear for uncle Tom. A tear for me.

"It's over." Eric says, pulling me into him. I fight him, wanting to get out of his hold.

"No!" I scream, letting the tears stream freely, "No its not. Every time I close my eyes, I see us playing, and laughing. Then I see him pulling that trigger. It will never be over. Ever!"

I rest my head on the window.

"Yes it will." he says, "You just have to believe in it."

Then he moves to the other side of the car. Away from me. Exactly where everyone else is.

Why am I pushing him away? What is wrong with me? He is a bad person but he tries to be good just for me. Why am I so ungrateful for that?

I look at his broken form. He tries to be strong and he is...to others. But I see him crumbling from the inside.

I shift my butt over to him and rest my head on his shoulder, "I'm sorry." I say for the second time tonight, "I'd like to know your story."

"From what I found out, Thomas Banderas was the reason for my parents murder. He worked for my father. It was never enough. He threatened my life and my parents rushed home, in search of me but I wasn't home. It was a trap. That's when the house blew up in flames and right after they signed their businesses over to him. " he finishes his story with only a single tear. I kiss it away.

"You're strong Eric. Your parents would be so proud of you." I whisper.

"Would they?" he asks, so unsure.

"Yes they would. You are successful in life."

"And don't forget to add murderer to the list." he adds. "How can you even stand me?" he asks.

"You bring peace in my heart. Sure you've killed before and it's wrong but I'd rather live a life with a murderer who means as much to me as you do, than live a life without that peace in me." I sniff, really feeling emotional.

"Just any murderer?" he asks, jokingly, probably trying to lighten the mood.

"Yeah right. I only want one man." I laugh lightly.

The car stops and I see that we're at the airport. I ask Eric for his phone so that I can phone Me.

When she picks up, "Hey Me. You can let them go now. Just make sure they wake up at the party."

"Sure thing girl." she says slowly, her Jamaican accent thick.

"Thanks." I say, ending the call. We get in the plane and I hear a pop and laughter.

"What are we celebrating?" I ask, laughing at the three boys.

We settle in our seats and as soon as the plane is in the air, we unbuckle the safety belts and pour some champaign.

"To life." Ben says, lifting his glass.

"To laughter." Vince says, laughing as he lifts his glass to Ben's.

"To justice." Eric says lifting his glass too.

"To... love." I say. And in one gulp we all down the glass of champaign.

I stand up, "I need to change into more comfortable clothing."

"Do you need some help?" Vince asks earning a punch from Eric. "Oww man what the hell. You need to learn to share. Because sharing is ca....." the continues his little speech about brotherhood and whatnot.

I enter the room in the plane and change into some jeans and leggings.

I come back out and take a seat on Eric's lap. I take the glove off my hand and stare at my finger.

I avert my gaze to Ben who sits opposite us, "What happened to Mel?"

He looks at me, shaking his head, "It's never going to work out Pokey. Whatever flames we had burning, died a long time ago."

"But you yearn for it to return don't you?" I ask quietly.

"Of course I do. She was my first love." he says, stressing.

"There's nothing anyone can say to make this better and I miss her too but maybe this is for the best." I tell him, holding his hand.

He squeezes it back and smiles genuinely at me.

That night, I fell asleep lighter. No nightmares. I was happy and nothing could destroy my mood.

I had Ben back, I know Mel is alive, I avenged my father and last but not least...

I have Eric. And I'm never going to let go of him... Ever.

***

Please don't forget to Comment and vote. ♥️♥️