Chapter 1

"There Ain't No Secrets Anymore"

Toronto, Ontario

July 29, 2011

The colorful brick exterior of Lee's Palace brought a smile to Rosemary's face as she clutched the strap of her small Coach purse, eyes tracing over the intricate artwork. It was the thirty-nine year olds attempt at prolonging the interrogation waiting for her at the bar.

By departing her small apartment, she acknowledged what she was getting herself into, but as the local venue grew closer, her bravery became a distant memory. Her free hand anxiously shook at her side, a nervous tick she'd acquired sometime around 2002, and no matter how hard the woman tried, she couldn't bring herself to take another step forward.

It took the bouncer clearing his throat for Rosemary Pierce to finally snap back to reality.

An encouraging smile appeared on the familiar male's face as he nodded toward the entrance. It wasn't the first - or last - time the man had seen a woman in distress outside his venue, and he learned a long time ago to let them move at their own pace. This was especially true for Rosemary.

"I know that look." His voice was husky but kind. "Don't let your past hold you back, Rose."

"I would if it would stop speaking to my present." Her breathless whisper went unheard as the older male held open the door, extending his hand for a fist bump. "Thank you for the pep talk Lee. We'll get in the studio again soon, I promise."

The male smiled kindly, having seen the recent tabloid articles with his favorite customer on the cover. Lee's Palace was the first stop on Rosemary's itinerary when she moved to Toronto in 2005. An aspiring music producer, she had just finished her internship with Rick Rubin in Los Angeles and was a force to be reckoned with.

In the span of three months though, Lee witnessed that once stone cold badass turn timid and paranoid. He just hoped she'd eventually find her way again. 

As the door clicked shut behind her, Rose was surrounded by darkness.

Live music roared from the bar's outdated sound system as an unknown local band performed across the room. Teenagers thrashed around, shoving one another in the mosh pit, crowd surfers chanted lyrics as the venue bouncers pulled them to safety, and several bras were already draped from the frontman's mic stand.

The band fed off their energy like an addict.

It was nostalgic, returning to environments like these after being away for a long period of time. They reminded her of the days she stood in their shoes. Louder days. Exciting days. Better days.

Time is unforgiving. It ticks forward no matter how much you beg it to stop or go back.

Eventually, everyone must grow up.

"Rose!" Through the heavy drum beat and screaming guitars, Rosemary still managed to recognize the voice of her best friend. The brunette didn't even have time to turn around before a pair of tattooed arms snaked around her waist, squeezing a little too tight. "You have no idea how good it is to see you."

It was in the safety of her best friend's arms that Rosemary finally relaxed. She understood that the circumstances of their reunion weren't the best, but the duo had been through a lot together during their four years at Syracuse University. "It's good to see you too Amy."

"Casey and Jack are waiting for us by the bar." The naturally tan girl pulled away, but kept her hands firmly on Rosemary's shoulders. "I figured we could grab a couple of drinks before going back to your apartment?"