Chapter 60

"Choke On a Kiss, I Thought I'd Save My Breath For You"

May 2, 1997

Syracuse, NY

Screaming.

That is all that can be heard for miles as flashes of blue and orange storm the turf field of Carrier Stadium to congratulate the men's lacrosse team on yet another undefeated season. In my three years at Syracuse, I've never seen the stadium this packed, and it just goes to show what this team has accomplished both on and off the field.

Amy and I jump up and down enthusiastically from our seats in the student section, opting to steer clear of the crowd and enjoy the energy in the air. The two of us were invited to the teams party tonight, so there's no real reason to run down there with everyone else. Security already has enough on their hands.

I can't help but blush at the sight of Liam's baggy practice penny draped over my small figure, obscuring the view of my white Bad Brains t-shirt. When I got on the bus to turn in the final mixes for my advanced production class this afternoon, my boyfriend was on his way back to his own house and gifted the clean jersey to me for the game tonight.

It was a weird encounter to say the least because Liam has never once asked me to wear anything specific to his games, especially not something showcasing his number, but since it's his senior day he wanted to 'switch things up'.

"Are you sure you don't want to go down there?" Amy nudges my arm as I watch my boyfriend being tackled to the ground by his teammates. "Maybe give him a congratulatory kiss in front of his coaches?" I roll my eyes at my friends question, knowing that she's just saying it to pick on me now.

"I actually think we need to head out of here before the buses get packed," I mumble and watch as a group of girls approach the long-haired boy, "Don't you?"

Amy must have noticed the careless flirting as well, a deep frown setting on my best friends face as she throws her backpack over her right shoulder. "I'd go kick a freshman's ass if I were you, but that's just me."

"They're harmless," I shrug, and watch Liam skillfully wave them off, "See."

One of the only positives in my relationship with Liam is that he's insanely loyal. We may not have much excitement, but we have trust, and that's been enough to keep me with him. He's younger, inexperienced and believes he is in love with me, but in reality, Liam doesn't know what real love is.

"You put too much trust in that boy Rose," The short haired brunette shakes her head as we make our way to the stadium exit. "What are you going to do if one day you find out he did cheat?"

My blue eyes glance at her, a smirk forming on my lips as I shake my head. "If either of us cheat in this relationship, it would be my Ams. One advantage of being older than all of you is that I have previous relationship experience, and Li doesn't show any of the signs. He thinks he loves me..."

"You don't love him?"

She links her arm through mine, speeding up our pace a little as a crowd can be seen gathering at the bus stop. "I don't love him the way he wants me to, no. I'm still hung up on my last relationship."

"You never speak about your last relationship..."

I nod, "Because it's in the past. The memories may have faded with time, but these feelings just won't."

-------

Jack and I do a quick cheer, clinking our shot glasses together before downing the clear liquid inside them. The two of us are all that's left of our original friend group, having lost Casey and Amy on the dance floor and Liam to his teammates for keg stands.