Chapter 5

"But For An Angel, She's A Hot Mess"

November 1988

Chicago, IL

"God damn it Dave," I groan as a wave of cold air woke me from my uncomfortable slumber. My hand reached out for the small blanket being shared between the two of us, snatching it out of his grip.

He whined, reaching for the blanket again but I slapped his hand away. "Rose I'm coldddd." His eyes were still shut as he blindly slid his hand up my bare leg in hopes of finding the end of the blanket.

"Dave I'm cold too okay?" I mutter and try to hide the feeling his hand on my leg gave me. "Just go back to sleep. Guys are supposed to be human hot boxes." The van was parked in some abandoned parking lot, meaning Franz finally got sick of driving or needed to use the bathroom.

I peered up toward the front of the vehicle, seeing Peter passed out in the passenger seat, his face pressed against the cold window. The second seat, which was supposed to be mine, was occupied by the band's merch and our travel bags. Skeeter was softly snoring in the third seat which left Dave and I the back row to attempt to sleep through the rough night drives.

Before this trip I didn't think he and I could get much closer, but I was clearly wrong. "God damn it just come here," His voice was raspy to the point that it was barely audible, but I leaned up to see his arms sticking out. "It's not weird."

It is weird.

Over the course of the last eight months, Dave and I have been almost inseparable. During my first month with his mom, he would either stay the night or come over after finishing his band obligations. I attended every show they played locally, and even dropped by the studio to show support after long shifts at the restaurant I was working at.

"Dave," I tried to protest but he opened one tired eye to shoot me a glare. Eventually I crawled over, laying my body on top of his thin one, and pulling the blanket over both of us. When his arms wrapped around my waist, the familiar electricity that came with his touch surged through my body causing it to stiffen.

He lightly kissed my forehead, "Relax. We're just sleeping Rose." With his words I took a deep breath, resting the palm of my hand on his bare chest and my face in the crook of his neck. "Goodnight."

"Night..." While he drifted off soundly, I couldn't stop the laundry list of thoughts from rolling through my mind.

---

A hand brushing through my hair pulled me out of my deep slumber. "Hey sleepy head," Dave's morning voice caused goosebumps to form on my skin, "We have to get up if we want food. I'll have you know I'm really hungry."

"Of course you are," I chuckle without opening my eyes, "You could eat a whole convenience store if I didn't keep an eye on you." My fingers drew small shapes on his bare chest as I tried to enjoy the last moments of serenity I'd have today.

The door to the van was pulled open which was my que to sit up, "Come on kids," Skeeter yelled into the back of the van, "You'll have enough time to get one another off when we're at the venue later." I cringed as he slammed it shut, hearing Dave chuckle from under me.

"That wasn't funny," I groan, "They already tease me enough about sex."

He sits up, a playful smirk on his face. "We could always give them something to talk about." My jaw dropped immediately at his words, even if it was a joke. "God you should see your face right now."

"Dave don't joke about that shit," My tone was serious as I crawled through the van to grab a change of clothes from my duffle bag. "They already make enough jokes and I'm tired of being looked at as a groupie."