Chapter 53

"You Know In All of The Time That We've Shared, I've Never Been So Scared"

PRESENT

August 27, 2011

I do my best to balance my iPhone between my ear and my shoulder while moving some of the sound board dials around. "Hey Reese. How are you doing?"

"Better than you are." The boy's laughter instantly brings a frown to my face. "When did you become the talk of the town sis?"

I groan, giving up with the board and prop my head up with my hand. "Seriously? I don't hear from you in three months and this is the first conversation we're going to have? Do you not have anything better to do than listen to celebrity gossip?"

"Not when the juicy gossip is about my very own sister," Rhys jokes back. "Other than that, what's been going on in the tundra? Texas has been boring as hell." I hear an 'ow' come from his mouth before he adds, "Except for Naz of course..."

The mention of his longtime boyfriend brings a smile to my face. The two met in ROTC when Rhys was 17. Nazareth was a year older and beginning the process for boot camp when my brother finally got the balls to express his interest.

Things were rocky at first, distance being the main problem for the young couple, but somehow, they managed to work everything out. Rhys followed in Naz's footsteps, joining the air force right out of high school and after some time they managed to get stationed in the same place.

It's tough at times, especially since neither of them are 'out' within their military community, but sometimes you just have to do what is socially acceptable to keep from getting your ass kicked. However, with every passing day it seems like the duo may eventually be able to freely be themselves without judgement.

"How is Naz doing?" I can just picture my brothers tan skin turning a deep shade of red at the mention of his boyfriend. They truly love one another and I'm glad that my brother won't have to go through the trauma I did to get to forty-one.

Whispers can be heard from their end of the line before Rhys is back. "He's good. Says we'll come visit you sometime next month." I can just picture him playfully glaring ay Naz from across the room, "Fuckin' kiss up."

"This is why he's my favorite and not you."

My brother gasps, "What do you mean I'm not your favorite? What kind of shit is that Rosemary?"

"Hey! Don't curse at me you dick!" I push myself away from the desk, letting the chair roll across the hardwood floor to grab a piece of gum from my purse. Naz can be heard laughing in the background as my brother tries to find the right words for his rebuttal, but the moment left as fast as it came. "Good luck next time bro."

A few grumbles come from him, "So what are you doing Miss. Famous Lady. Your face is everywhere down here, and I mean everywhere. They're wondering if Dave is going to leave Jordyn for you."

I scoff, "Haven't talked to the dude since '98. There's no way in hell."

"That's what you think big sister." Rhys loves trying to manifest shit, but everyone who knows the whole story knows that Dave and I have no chance. "The two of you will be married before the end of this decade. I'd bet my car."

My jar drops at his statement. His car is his baby. A matte black 1967 Shelby mustang GT 500 with some... upgrades. "Don't say that little brother because I'll be coming to collect my prize on January 1, 2020 if you're serious."

"I'm dead serious Rosemary," Naz can be heard yelling at him in the background, "You and Dave Grohl will be married and living in LA by the end of this decade. It had been said and now will be done."