Chapter 11

"If Everything Could Ever Feel This Real Forever"

October 18, 1990

Tacoma, WA

"That should be everything we need," I mumble while struggling to zip the rather large duffle bag up. "Jesus Dave, I don't think you need to bring all of these clothes." My boyfriend with a bad ombre dye job was across the room trying to sort through the band's equipment. "We're only there for a couple days."

The slow pace he was moving at told me how exhausted he truly is. Nirvana had played their second ever show with him last night at Evergreen State College, resulting in a long night out at the local pub afterwards.

"We don't know how the weather is going to be though." He said while continuing to pack away cords and pedals that were lying around. "It would be easier if we just didn't share a bag."

His damper mood brought a frown to my face. "It's cheaper to share the bag," I respond even though I know he isn't listening, "What are the guys doing anyways?"

"Who knows," he closed one of the many trunks before plopping himself on top of it to take a break. "Shelli and Krist mentioned something about a Halloween video and Kurt's just out there playing guitar."

The loud riffs I'd grown accustomed to since moving in with Kurt caught my attention. "Do you need help?" I lightly step around the piles of equipment on the floor in order to perch myself between Dave's thighs. "Since I finished packing, I'm free."

"I can think of something you can help with," A wicked smirk appeared on the brunette's face as he leans down to kiss me.

It didn't last long before the bedroom door was slammed open, allowing the jolly green giant himself into the room. "Ohhhhh what do we have here?" Shelli's dark head of hair popped around the corner, smiling apologetically in my direction as Krist crept toward us with a video camera in hand. "Looks like the love birds were trying to get freaky with us in the other room."

My hand instinctively flew to the camera lens in hope of ending my embarrassment. "Come on man I was so close..." As Krist pulls the camera away, I instinctively smack Dave on the chest, earning a hearty chuckle in response.

"As long as it's not on my bed," Kurt piped in from his spot in the living room, "I'm okay with it."

Krist leans over to wrap a long arm around my shoulders, "Or you can just let me have him for the night." A playful wink was sent my way and I couldn't help but laugh at the idea of Dave and Krist hooking up.

"Maybe another time Chewbacca," I pat his chest before spinning around to lean into Dave. His arms instinctively wrap around my waist, his chin dropping on top of my head. "So, is everything in place? Flight information taken care of and personal bags packed?"

Shelli, who was still leaning against the doorframe spoke up. "It's so nice to finally have another girl around. Now I won't be the only one nagging the boys to get ready."

"I just like to be prepared," I smile back at the girl who had become a close friend in the last couple of months. Whenever we need a break from the boys, the two of us would head out to Seattle together to get coffee and just talk about personal goals for the future. "I've never been overseas, so this is pretty exciting."

"It's gorgeous. You're going to love it," Her response made my excitement grow. It was the band's first real test of shows before the label 'okayed' them to start recording their sophomore album, and I knew it was going to be the beginning of something big.

---

October 20, 1990

I had been sluggish all morning. Taking more time than usual to get out of the comfort of Dave's arms and ready for the long day of travel ahead of us. I almost cried when I walked out of the bathroom to find my long-haired boyfriend holding two mugs of coffee for us to drink together. "I would literally die without you."