Chapter 38

"A Simple Man And His Blushing Bride"

Honolulu, Hawaii

February 24, 1992

"You have got to be kidding me right now!" Shelli, my usually calm and collected best friend, had become especially heated at the newly gathered information about Kurt and Courtney having a spontaneous wedding today.

I on the other hand, have a pounding headache and can hardly focus on the words the girl is screaming. The last twenty-four hours have been especially brutal, making me wonder if the world is once again out to get me.

"Krist back me up! He's our best friend!" Shelli's voice cracks, the woman obviously on the verge of tears. "It's complete bullshit that she can just up and tell me I'm not invited to their wedding. Same with Rosemary!"

I shrug, "We all know why I was barred from todays events." My hands go up in a surrender, hoping to back away from the topic of why I'm not invited to the wedding this afternoon. "Courtney doesn't want my problematic ass there. If she had it her way, she'd be the only woman around this band at all times."

"Okay," Shelli groans, brushing her long hair away from her face. "But Rosemary we're his friends. Kurt should have stood up for us!"

Krist wraps an arm around his wife's shoulders, hoping the physical contact would calm her down a bit. "Shell, Courtney has Kurt wrapped around her finger. What she says, goes, especially now that she's carrying his baby."

"It's just not fair, okay? I've known Kurt throughout the entirety of my adult life." Her tears had finally begun to fall. Knees buckling underneath her as Krist did his best to hold her up. "He's my baby brother even if we aren't related by blood and I just want what's best for him. I want him to be happy and healthy and ever since he met Courtney, he's been going in this intense downward spiral that I only see one ending to."

With those words, I took the opportunity to step up and comfort my best friend. Wrapping my arms over Krists' as she tucks her face into my shoulder. "Shelli... we all know how much you and Krist care about Kurt. You two are the only one's really left from his life in Aberdeen... In the end though, I think it's a good thing that you and I weren't invited and Krist boycotted the event. We'd just get angry."

"What about Dave though?" The mentioning of my fiancée's name sent a chill down my spine; the weight of the rock on my finger becoming noticeable. I hadn't seen him since this morning when he had announced that Kurt begged him to come to the wedding over breakfast, panicked because Krist said he wasn't coming.

He wasn't going because he supported the duo's relationship, because that is anything but the truth, but Dave is a genuinely good person. He's not going to leave Kurt hanging just because he wants to prove a point. "Dave is able to mask his feelings better than we can. He and I talked about I this morning and he's just doing it as a favor to Kurt."

"He should've just declined altogether so the four of us could do something together," She sighs, leaning back up against Krist as I pull away from the hug. "I just don't have a good feeling about this Rose. I feel like it's just another piece to this disaster of a puzzle being created."

She isn't the only one that feels this way. The look on Krists' face tells me that he is also worried about his best friend's well-being, but I knew nothing would be said about the topic. "I think Kurt will be fine. The baby is due in September, and he's already agreed to go to rehab once we're back on the mainland."

Even I didn't believe what I was saying, but the claim seemed to help Shelli calm down a bit. She truly is the mother of the group, watching over the boys and I like a hawk would its babies in order to keep them from falling out of the nest. She wants what's best for us in the long run, and while all of us are glad that Kurt is happy with Courtney, we know she's only going to rip us apart as time goes on.