Chapter 9

"Eyes That Change From Blind To Blue"

April 1990

San Francisco, CA

It wasn't unlike Dave and I to wake up early in search of a local coffee shop to satisfy our need for caffeine each morning. Not only did it give us some much-needed alone time, but it also gave us the chance to explore the new cities.

I fell in love with the west coast during our last tour, but actually getting to drive down Pacific Coast Highway and see the coastline sealed the deal. It was beautiful. Everything I had ever wanted home to be.

"You want your usual?" Dave asks while holding the door open for me to enter behind him. A bell rang, catching the attention of the exhausted looking barista at the counter.

I sent the older woman an apologetic smile before turning my attention to Dave and his half blonde, half brown hair. Even now, months later, I wasn't used to the idea of him being blond. Maybe because I had always known him as a brunette, but it definitely took some getting used to.

By November he was already sick of it, threatening to shave his head which sent me into a panic. "Yes please."

"I can see the wheels turning in that pretty head of yours," He leaned in to kiss my forehead before turning to the lady to place our orders. Leaving me with my usual job of picking out a table.

Tour hadn't been a complete shit storm so far, mainly due to my interventions when Franz would try to start something. Two months in and Skeeter hadn't verbally threatened to quit again, but I could tell by his glares that he was close to his breaking point with the Stahl brothers.

"What's going on up there?" A mug, of what I hope is a white chocolate mocha with two shots of espresso, was placed in front of me as Dave slid into the seat across from me with his black coffee. "You've been really quiet all day and I know how much you love San Fran."

I shrug, bringing the mug to my lips. "Honestly I'm just off in my own little world. Nothing really important." One thing I've come to realize is that Dave hates talking about the conflict going on within his band.

Whenever arguments began, he makes a quick exit to find me or puts his headphones on to block out the yelling. I wasn't going to bring it up when we were supposed to be enjoying ourselves. "How are you feeling? You said your back was hurting last night."

"Better," His eyes had a sparkle in them that only appeared after having his morning coffee. "It's still stiff, but I think it's from sleeping in that uncomfortable seat all the time. My bed spoils me." His hand absentmindedly sliding across the tabletop to grab mine. "Hey..."

"Yeah?"

"I love you," A toothy grin covered his face, making it impossible not to smile back at him. Moments like these, where we could just be our normal happy selves, made me fall in love with him all over again.

"I love you too."

---

The crowds on the west coast were always louder than those out east. I don't know if it was because of the growing scene coming out of Seattle, or just the difference in culture from coast to coast.

Scream had taken the stage not even ten minutes ago and the crowd was screaming so loud that I thought I was going to go deaf from my spot behind the merch table. Dave was giving it his all on stage and even though his hair covered his face most of the time, I could make out the ghost of a smile.

"Now that's the kind of drummer we need!" A short blond guy shouted from about three feet away. He stood between to a guy who was well over six-feet-tall and another That I believed to be Buzz Osbourne from the Melvin's. "He's oozing with energy man..."