Chapter 4

"February Stars, Floating In The Dark."

February 25, 1988

Washington D.C.

"God, I hate George Washington students," Mary groaned as we crossed through the familiar campus. "They think they're so much better than us."

I roll my eyes and pull my jean jacket tighter to my body, "If you'd stop staring, they wouldn't even realize we don't belong here."

"Bullshit," Her voice rose slightly, "They see two scrub looking girls like us and scoff. No law student here listens to the same music we do."

Her comment made me chuckle as we finally turned onto Pennsylvania Avenue, "You'd be surprised how many people are closet punks." Instead of going to school today, the two of us took a spontaneous trip to DC in hopes of scouting out some new music. "I don't know what I would do without Tower."

"Die." Mary shrugged with her blunt answer as the colorful building came into view. Both of our moods shifting drastically once we step inside. "I'm going to the metal section. I'll find you before I leave."

I slowly drifted toward the rock section, instantly spotting a Zeppelin IV vinyl. "Good taste," The familiar voice made my stomach do a flip and when I turned around, Dave was standing there with a smile on his face. "Didn't think I'd be seeing you so soon."

"Ditto," I was slightly in shock as he began rummaging through the stacks of records in front of us. He was concentrated, his long hair in his face and his lips puckered as he intently searched for something. I couldn't take my eyes off him, even when he placed an album in my hands.

His smile brought me out of my trance. He knew I was staring and wasn't calling me out. "You're from this area and if you don't already like Bad Brains, I'm going to be really disappointed in you." The bright yellow cover easily caught my eye as I read 'Rock for Light'.

"I've heard of them, but I've never actually listened to their music before." I bit my bottom lip as he gaped at me. "I was more into bands like The Ramones and The Clash than the hardcore scene, but I do respect Ian MacKaye."

"You surprise me every time we speak," He shook his head, "That is probably my favorite album of all time, so it's my recommendation to you if my boss asks."

This comment caught my full attention, "Your boss? You work at Tower Records?"

"Need a day job to help support my musical escapades," He shrugged and leaned against the record display. "Now that I think about it, aren't you supposed to be in school?"

My body went rigid with his question, but I quickly sassed him, "Aren't you?"

"I dropped out," He replied matter-of-factly, pointing a finger down at me.

I shrug and glance around the store to make sure Mary wasn't watching our interaction from across the room. "Maybe I did too."

"Well that would suck." He chuckles while pushing some of his hair back, "I'm really going to have to get this band thing going so I will be able to support our newly forming friendship. Don't want us to sleep on the streets like the other drop outs."

I shook my head at his joking tone, "Yeah that box in the alley is getting a little cramped now that my friend Mary moved in. A nice warm bed would be appreciated."

"How long are you staying here?" Dave asked while checking the black beaten up looking watch on his wrist. "I get off in fifteen minutes and we can hang out and get dinner if you're down."

"I would but I'm here with a friend," I sigh and glance around the store again, "It would be pretty shitty of me to ditch her to hang out with a 'stud' such as yourself." He laughed at my reference to his comment two weeks ago, brushing fake dust of his shoulders.