Chapter 46

"I'm Alone and I'm an Easy Target"

February 17, 1993

Cannon Falls, MN

"Do I say something?" I take a quick swig from my beer before twisting my seat around to give Shelli my full attention. "Whatever we have right now isn't a relationship. It's killing me to be in the apartment knowing that he's off with some other woman when we're supposed to be engaged."

The older woman's shoulders are slumped down as she takes a sip of her own beer, "Maybe I was just making things up in my mind Rose... Maybe I just thought I saw them holding hands. I really don't think Dave would do this to you hon, somethings just off about this whole situation."

"I'll tell you what's off, me. I shouldn't have come back when Dave showed up at my house. From day one he's been my weakness, and this proves it. He's been cheating for months now and we're still engaged! I have yet to stand up for myself because I know when I do, I'll lose him forever."

The two of us have been here for two hours and I have already consumed my body weight in alcohol. My seventh empty beer sat on the counter in front of me as I contemplate ordering an eighth. "He should've just left our relationships in the friendzone... I don't need this stress."

"I can talk to him if you don't want to." Shelli Novoselic knows that this is my way of working through the second stage of grief, anger. She knows me better than I know myself, and for that I am grateful. "You can't keep this bottled up, so maybe me starting the conversation-"

"No Shelli," I cut my friend off, "There's no point in holding an 'intervention' or anything like that. I think it's time I just face the facts and call off the engagement; move back home while I have the savings to do so."

A frown sets on the dark-haired woman's face as she waves over the bartender for another drink. "That just seems so rash to me Rosemary... You and Dave still have something that can be saved if you'd just talk to one another."

"This relationship has been doomed since the day we put Eva in the ground Shelli."

-------

"I want to know which one of us thought it was a good idea to walk to and from that bar because it's fucking cold out here!" My laughter broke through the usually quiet wooded area of Pachyderm Studios as Shelli and I drunkenly stumble up the walkway hand in hand.

The older woman let out a giggle at my words, tripping over her snow boots for the third time since we left the bar. "Definitely not one of our brightest moments."

"Do it baby!" Krist's familiar voice caught our attention almost immediately followed by a loud crash and a, "What are you crazy?!"

"Dave's chucking his crash cymbal at the side of the building again," Shelli's voice is monotone as both of us stare at Dave and Krist's features from across the snow-covered yard. "One of those ice cycles are going to impale him before we leave this place..."

The short haired drummer and tall bassist must have noticed us staring because next thing I know they're waving and walking our way. "Well this should be interesting... Ten bucks says he completely ignores me."

"Twenty says he tries to take you to bed again," Shelli retorts with a knowing look.

That unhealthy cycle of anger to fornication between the drummer and I has yet to cease and is probably the only thing keeping our 'relationship' together anymore. "Where have you two been? We've been looking for you all afternoon."

"Oh, you know, around." My response was purposely vague, partly due to Dave's presence but mostly because the alcohol in my system is really starting to kick my ass. Fuck, I shouldn't have had that last beer...