Chapter 39

"I Needed Somewhere To Hang My Head Without Your Nose"

Nags Head, NC

April 3, 1992

My heart thumps rather loudly in my chest as I turn the page of 'Needful Things' by Stephen King, having become completely immersed in the novel since opening the first page a week ago. Psychological thrillers and horror have recently become my thing, proving once again that I am definitely my mother's daughter.

I must have become so lost in the novel that I couldn't hear the sliding glass door open and close, allowing Dave to reenter the house undetected. Everything moved so fast following his entry, that I hardly had time to process what was happening.

A body crashed against mine, causing me to almost jump out of my skin in fear that the antagonist in the book had finally come to get me. The novel flew from my hands, landing somewhere across the room as I let out a terrified yelp. Only being able to calm down when Dave's familiar brown hair came into view.

"You have become so jumpy since you started reading those novels." Dave, whose face is now pressed into my abdomen like a pillow, tightly wraps his arms around my torso as if I'd disappear any second. "Even I'm starting to scare you."

I sigh and allow my fingers to tangle into his long messy locks, "You just caught me off guard. It was a really intense scene, and of all things, I wasn't expecting you to pull off a jump scare at this exact moment."

"I do my best to be spontaneous," He winks, fingers rubbing small circles into my back as I relax into his touch.

Since returning to our small beachfront home, things have been rather easy between Dave and me. We've gone on dates, cooked each other dinner, had movie nights where we pass out on each other half way through, and even spent some time planning for our wedding. "So, I've noticed."

"Do you want some coffee?" I smile kindly, nodding as he pushes himself back up to his feet. "Alright, I'll be right back." His lips lightly press against mine, a soft, longing display of affection before he retreats to the kitchen.

I know the last month has been tough on Dave, having gone from constantly being on a bus or in the studio to sitting at home with me. The man is a workaholic. His mind craves being occupied at all hours of the day, and the lack of work is slowly driving him insane.

Nirvana had been offered a rather extravagant arena tour, but Kurt immediately shot the idea down. Leaving the other two members' opinions out, like always. I had yet to talk to Krist about everything, but I know Dave has become rather pissed about Kurt's sudden power surge. He loves the lead singer, whom we ate corndogs with for dinner almost every night during our first month in Seattle, but the recent changes and drug abuse is starting to divide the band.

Shelli and I took notice of this months ago as Courtney slowly became more involved with the band. It was only a matter of time before everything imploded, and I guess that time is now.

"Here you go." Dave leans down, passing the warm mug to me in a way that I wouldn't get burned, before taking a seat next to me on the comfortable love seat. As soon as he is settled, I curl my body up to his, resting my temple on his shoulder while taking a sip of my coffee. "Danny called me last night. We're going into the studio, so I have to fly back to Seattle." He brushes some stray hair away from my face, "Do you want to come?"

I bite my lip rather hard, thinking over my internal pros and cons list. I'd be able to see Shelli and Krist, which would be absolutely amazing, but as a result I would also have to see Kurt, which is something I'm not prepared for just yet. "I think I may take that trip up to see my mom finally..."