Chapter 64

"Back And Forth With You"

Present

"Alright!" Amelia claps her hands together excitedly as the five of us sit out on the fire escape together. I am about to bring my cigarette back to my mouth when Frances snatches it away from me, tossing the white stick over the railing and out of reach. "So, you got any words of wisdom about Back & Forth?"

Frances and I stare at one another momentarily, a silent challenge between the two of us as I pull out a second cigarette to smoke. "Don't light that Rose. I'll just toss it over again."

"Feel free." I shrug, lighting the small stick anyways. "So, lyrically the song is like a story. He's talking about the years in Scream and Nirvana and how he evolved from the quiet drummer to the frontman we know today."

Casey nods in agreement, "Yeah. The 'once upon a time I was somebody else' statement gave me the same impression. Like he's recounting the past since he went on to say, 'back when I was new'."

"Then he wrote, 'Now you're on your own, one for the pages. Over the hill and through the ages. Does my heaven burn like hell on you?', and that just came off as an in your face type of comment." Jack mumbles, looking down at the lyrics on his laptop.

Frances sighs, watching as I take yet another drag of my cigarette. "He's kind of saying he has it all when in reality he knows he doesn't." The younger girl waits for the right moment to catch me off guard before once again plucking the white stick out from between my lips. "Somehow he knows that Rose isn't doing much with her life."

"Hey!" I snap my head in her direction. "I do thinks with you all the time! Look, we're doing something right now with my college friends."

Amy glances my way, "For the first time in how many years?"

"You literally ignore us every time we offer to come visit Rose." Casey adds with a raised eyebrow.

Rolling my eyes, I surrender. "Okay, maybe I don't get out much, but that's my choice! I work."

"You run your own studio. Ricky could take over if you decided to go somewhere." Jack mumbles, scrolling through the rest of the page. "The next one that stands out to me is 'now show a little backbone why don't you'."

Amy nods, "Yeah it's kind of aggressive."

"That whole song is aggressive Ams." I mumble, resting my chin against the palm of my hand. As much as I love hanging out with everyone, this detective work on 'Wasting Light' just makes me sick. Yeah, people analyze lyrics for a living, but we're doing it for personal gain...

Casey glances my way before looking back to Jack, "Rose, the guy just wants you to step up and be the person you used to be, and if I'm being honest, all of us do."

"You remember what you said to me the other night?" Amy interrupts Casey's train of thought, "You said you were scared to do this because deep down you know how much you actually miss the guy. You're scared by it, and this song is literally him saying that he would leave everything behind if you just said, 'I miss you Dave'."

With a baffled expression, my head snaps around to glare at my best friend, shocked that she'd even thing to tell me that. "Are you telling me to call and ruin his relationship? To ruin his family. He had two little girls Amy, I can't just come out of the woodwork and uproot his life, those two are more important than us and our needs."

"O-kay." Jack cringes at my statement, wanting to avoid any more awkward blow ups this morning. It's too early to be yelling and I'm surprised my neighbors haven't yelled at the five of us from their windows. "The chorus goes 'I'm looking for some back and forth with you. Are you feeling the same as I do'."