Chapter 8

"If You Walk Out On Me, I'm Walking After You"

October 1, 1989

Washington D.C.

"I'm going to kill him," I mutter under my breath while bringing a cigarette to my lips to take a drag. "Not calling for over two weeks and not showing up when he's supposed to be home? That's just asking for me to be pissed off and worried."

Mary and Cecelia had taken over my futon, watching me pace as if it were a scene from a movie. All they are missing is a large bucket of popcorn. "I mean we don't know that something bad happened necessarily. His mom would have called if he was dead."

"Cece," I snapped causing the girl to jump slightly, "Not fucking helping right now." She put her hands up in surrender, going back to painting her nails a bright blue color. It wasn't like Dave to just disappear without a word as to why, or a reassuring call that he had arrived safely. I was panicked, "I'm only eighteen and I'm pretty sure my hair is turning gray."

The two girls had dropped by for the weekend to give me company since Dave still wasn't home, but I was beginning to regret inviting them. Mary wanted to go to some local show and get drunk, so I'd forget about it while Cece wanted to 'talk it out'. Neither option appealed to me at the moment. "Just sit down and take a chill pill," Mary rolled her eyes before pulling a joint from a pocket inside her jacket, "You can take the first hit if you want."

"I don't do drugs," I cringe at the thought of breaking my one hard rule, "No thanks." While Dave did get high, she kept her sober streak. Instead opting to help him in case a bad trip hit.

"With the way you're freaking out," she put the newly lit joint to her lips, "You really need something to calm you the fuck down. He's a musician... let him live. He's probably with one of his other many lovers around the world."

Her words made me frown, "Mary."

"Yeah?" She looked up after exhaling a cloud of smoke.

My hand clenched at my sides as I stopped pacing to face her, "Get the fuck out of my apartment."

"What?" She scoffed. "Did I offend you because you are too ignorant to realize that your boyfriend has been hooking up with girls overseas? Guys like him, musicians, can't keep it in their pants to save their lives Rosemary." If her smirk didn't reach her eyes, maybe I wouldn't have reacted so badly, but the look of triumph made my blood boil. She was happy I was freaking out.

My hand wrapped tightly around her arm, squeezing hard enough to cause pain. "If you don't want me to knock that smirk off your face, I suggest you get the fuck out of my apartment Mary."

"I hope you know he and I hooked up in the back of his car before parting ways," Her voice was harsh as she snatched her arm away, "You are way out of your league with this one Rose. He's going to break your heart and I'm going to be watching and waiting."

Cece's eyes were wide when the door slammed shut and I collapsed next to her on the couch, "Jesus fucking Christ..."

"You can say that again," I groan and rub my hands over my face, "Are you cool with leaving too? I really need some alone time after that..."

---

When the front door silently clicked shut, I felt my blood run cold. Every fiber of my being wanted me to believe it was Dave, but with his presence lacking recently it was hard to know for sure.

"Rose?" I relaxed against my headboard when his face popped into view. My eyes widening when I realized his usual brown hair had been bleached blonde. "Thank god you're awake."