Chapter 28

"Every Word I Said Was True And That You'll See"

November 23, 1991

Ghent, Belgium

"We could always make it look like an accident, right?" I say to Shelli in a hushed tone as we watch Kurt and Courtney laughing in the living area of our bus. "No one would ever have to know."

Since the moment Courtney appeared on the bus, she has made it her mission to make mine and Shelli's lives a living hell. Purposely creating messes that she knew we'd have to clean among various other annoyances. "I say we wait until she's asleep and just smother her." Shelli's head tilts to the side as the she-devil leans into Kurt's side, "Painful for her and satisfying for us."

"Good morning beautiful," Dave's sweet morning voice took my attention away from my hatred of Courtney. His hair was a tussled mess from having just woken up and the left sleeve of his baggy t-shirt was hanging off his shoulder.

He looked younger than his actual age as he wiped the sleep from his eyes, "What have you two been up to all morning?" The brunettes loops his toned arms around my shoulders, dropping his chin on top of my head.

"Plotting Courtney's demise," Shelli's bitter words killing our moment, "She's been driving us crazy for the last twenty-four hours."

When the three of us turn our attention back to the 'happy' couple, we find Courtney straddling Kurt's lap. The two lost in a deep make out session. "We were never like that right?" Dave asked, directing the question to Shelli. "Because if so, I whole heartedly apologize."

"We were SO never like that." I mutter, crossing my arms over my chest. "Do they not need to breathe? Hello, basic human needs motherfuckers."

A heavier set of footsteps signaled that Krist was now also awake, "What are we looking at?" The bassist leaned down to press a kiss to Shelli's cheek before locking his eyes on Kurt and Courtney. "Awe come on man, not the couch. It's the only place on this bus that I can lay out without being stuck in a weird position..."

"Would you creeps stop staring?" Courtney mutters, finally breaking away from Kurt. "It's fucking weird."

The audacity of this woman...

"This is the public area of the bus Courtney if you would like to continue your fuck fest, may I suggest going to the bunks or the back room so we can eat our breakfast in peace." Kurt coughs, trying to suppress his laugh as the blonde woman glares daggers at me. If looks could kill...

The front man grabs her hand before she can retaliate, "Let's just go to that restaurant you mentioned for an early lunch." His blue eyes dart between Courtney and I, watching our stare down in order to prevent us from attacking one another.

One thing I promised myself months ago was that I would never let this woman make me cower away ever again. She may walk high and mighty in the grunge scene, but within our group she's the outsider.

"Okay, I'll go get dressed." She gives in, surprising all of us.

The room fell silent as Courtney retreats to the bunks, her eyes locked on me until the dividing door clicks shut. "You guys hate her..."

"We don't hate her Kurt," Shelli sighs.

Krist interjects, "We hate her."

"Krist!" I smack his shoulder lightly as a warning. "No Kurt we don't hate Courtney. She's just... different than the four of us so it's hard to get along with her."

Dave nods in agreement, tightening his hold on me. "None of us are really flashy people man, she's just a whole new world and it's going to take some getting used to."