Chapter 62

"Now or Never, No Surrender"

As my mother and I awkwardly sit across from one another at dinner, I can't help but internally cringe each time she glances up at me. It's obvious she wants to discuss what happened with Liam, which is understandable since she walked in on a supposed happy couple screaming at one another. If I was here, I'd be concerned as well.

All hell broke loose when I told the long-haired boy to go home, resulting in numerous holes in walls broken decorations that we would no doubt have to pay for. Liam lost his shit, and part of me doesn't blame the poor guy. I led him on for two years, making him think we would someday have the perfect little suburban family and a country club membership.

That's not me though. It never will be.

"Mom." I frustratedly place my fork down on my plate, half tempted to leave the awkwardly tense room to get some fresh air. She has yet to say a work, and that alone makes me worry. I'd rather the woman scream at me than be silent.

Rhys is sat on his chair a few feet away, face covered in remnants of his mac n' cheese. To be that young and innocent again would be a blessing right now.

"Are you going to tell me what happened? I have to tell the rental company something Rose." The older woman sighs, running a hand through her graying hair. It's obvious she didn't need this added stress, but of course I couldn't wait until I was back in New York to cause problems.

Biting the inside of my cheek, I unconsciously tapped my fingers on the wooden table. "Mom, Liam and I just weren't working out, okay? There have been issues recently and he freaked out because I was on the phone with someone."

"Was that someone Dave honey?" She asked, a knowing look on her face.

All of the color must have drained from mine because worry takes over her features as she stared at me. My hand stopped moving mid beat and I did what I could to swallow. "And if it was?"

"He had a right to be mad then." She sighs. "I don't blame you though, Liam is a pretentious know it all."

Both of my hands move up to my hair, lightly pulling on the roots. "We've been talking since Christmas and I flew out to California in February to help with their album. Nothing happened, it almost did, but I swear I stopped him."

"Did you tell Liam what you were doing over there, or have you kept all of that information under wraps?" Her dark eyes are haunting as they stare at me from across the small table, clearly reading into every move I make.

Since we rekindled our relationship in 1994, my mom and I have created this unbreakable bond that can be a blessing and a curse at times. She can easily tell when I'm lying or tense now, which makes it hard to formulate a response that isn't self-incriminating, but maybe it's time I actually share the truth with someone.

"No mom. No one knows about Dave." I bring my hands up to rub my eyes before looking back at her. "I haven't even told Amelia about my relationship with Dave and she's my best friend. I just don't feel ready to trust them with that. It's sensitive information and telling you was already hard enough."

Tears prick at the corner of my eyes, the shame of what I have been doing to Liam finally setting in. It was only a matter of time before my heartless exterior broke and now that it has, I can only imagine how returning his stuff will go.

"Rosemary..." My mother's calm voice speaks up as she rounds the table to place a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "You aren't a bad person for not telling your friends, okay? That's personal information and I wouldn't share it either if I was in your shoes. I was just curious to see if you trusted Liam enough with it, and you obviously didn't. That alone tells me the relationship was doomed."