Chapter 7

"Breathe Out, So I Can Breathe You In"

Present

Toronto, ON

My back was pressed to the cool glass surrounding my shower as scalding water burned the skin on my stomach and thighs. It was impossible to know how long I had been hiding out in here, but I knew Amelia would come searching for me eventually.

Casey and Jack were probably sifting through my old box of photographs and concert tickets I had left on the coffee table while Amy took her time to carefully examine each in hopes of discovering clues as to why my seemingly perfect relationship imploded. What she didn't know is that those photographs were already hidden away in the depths of my closet where no one would think to look.

I tilt my chin up to watch the steam rise up to the white ceiling above me; tears brimming my eyes. "Fuck Kurt... Why the hell did you have to do it?" Choked sobs escape my mouth as I once again use my hand to hide the sounds from any wandering ears.

No matter how much time passes, Kurt's death still feels like a fresh wound. Every aspect of my life crumbled around me and there was no way to repair it. "Damn it, damn it, damn it..." On top of destroying myself, Dave was caught in the aftermath.

---

By the time I rejoined the group, photographs were stacked high in piles. "Welcome back." Amelia's arms were crossed over her chest in questioning, but I shrugged her off, "You ready to continue with your story?"

Casey's frown told me everything I needed to know, they found something.

"What is it?" My voice was void of emotion as I entered my kitchen to pour myself a glass of tea. After my breakdown in the shower, I was ready to take on almost anything.

I wasn't expecting Amelia to slam a photo on the counter in front of me though. My body instinctively jumping back at the loud smack."I get that you want to take this at your own pace, but with the article and now this photo Rosemary. I don't know what to think anymore. What the fuck was going on between you and Kurt Cobain?"

Jack looked disappointed while Casey stood tall next to a furious Amelia. My heart stopped when I recognized the photograph.

Kurt had Frances in a stroller, pretending to drink from her bottle while she stared at people passing by. We were in Italy or something...

"There's so much you guys don't know, okay?" It had been years since I brought a cigarette to my mouth, but in that moment, I felt like I was going to explode without one

"There's so much you guys don't know, okay?" It had been years since I brought a cigarette to my mouth, but in that moment, I felt like I was going to explode without one. "God damn it why did you even need to come here? If I wanted you to know this I would have told you thirteen years ago."

I frantically opened multiple drawers before successfully pulling out an old pack of Marlboros. "What the fuck are those Rose?" Jack snatched the pack from my hand just as I pulled one out and lit it. "When the hell did you start smoking?"