Chapter 9: Questions, but No Answer

It's been a week since Jack told us about what happened to Lisa. Janice and I stopped talking about our plan to leave the palace, but Dana was still holding on some little chance of hope to escape. I remember I told her it was crazy and we would end up like Lisa if we try to escape. But Dana, so headstrong she still trying to convince us even though she was scared. We were prisoners for life it seems. Never seeing the sun, hear birds chirp, morning commutes, annoying teachers, not listening to our parents, and our freedom. For now we were focusing on surviving in the palace from vampires. 

Speaking of vampires, I haven't heard from Tristan or Aries, which was odd. For a whole week neither of them came to see me. For one I was glad not seeing Tristan, but I was missing Aries. "Rene, would you like to come down to the the living room area?" the older maid said. I don't how she sneak in without me noticing her. I agreed since I am getting bored. While walking I thought I could ask some questions. "Excuse me miss, but do you know what happened to Aries?" I asked her. She looks at me. "Your a special girl Rene. Your in trouble. Lately the vampires are little uptight and behaving unusual. It's wise that no human to be around them for to long except maybe you Rene." she said.

What was she going on about? She continues talking to me. "You have to be careful and who your willing to trust. Something is going to happen." "What are you talking about? What do you mean?" I questioned but all she said was," Remember my words and were here. Since there are no vampires around, I thought you kids could use a break. Now go on, dear." and walks away. I stood there trying to comprehend what she was talking about, but I couldn't come up with anything. "Rene, are you going to join us or stand there?" Paige asked me. I see my friends waving their arms and smiling. 

I walk towards them with so many questions popping in my head. "What's wrong Rene?" Tammy, Paige, Jack, Bianca, and Janice looked at me with concerned. I'm not sure if I should tell them or no. Besides, I don't want to spoil the fun and worry more about something I'm not sure of. "Nothing. Just woke up." I said, hoping they bought the lie. Everyone turned their head except Dana. She gazed at me for a few seconds then finally turning away. "Were watching Halloween." said Janice as I sat down next to her. Honestly, I couldn't enjoy the movies with my friends because too many thoughts were racing. It still was bothering what that maid said to me earlier. I didn't get anything what she is trying to say, but I would agree that something is going on with those two vampires.

Aries p.o.v.

"Where is Cortez, Lana?" my fathers guard asked. Lana looked down at the table crying softly. "Answer him, Lana!" Torres roars. Lana shook more violently and crying her eyes. "Okay,okay, I'll take you to the spot where he hangs out." she said and Torres smiles. We followed Lana into the night deep in the woods. "There something off." Luther voiced. I fall back behind to talk with him. Knowing Luther, I can tell he was deeply worried about this whole Cortez case. "Luther?" "It doesn't make sense Aries, I know Cortez sister wouldn't lie about Cortez. How is it possible that he was with them, but his scent is all over Francis and Dexter?" he questioned. "Maybe he murder them before or after he was with Lana and his sister." I say. 

Luther shook his head. "Guess that's possible." Luther shrugs. "Where here." Lana said. We were in front of a dark cave that look small and damp. The guard and Torres went in while Tristan, Luther, and I stood outside with Lana. In five minutes they came out. "He's not in there, Lana. Where is Cortez and don't lie to us." "I don't know. Last I saw him was the day we were at his sister house. After that, I haven't seen him since. It's the truth," she started to cry again.

I studied her for awhile and I didn't sense no deception in her. "She's telling the truth." "Aries this is bull and you know it. She's hiding that slime ball because that's her mate. I won't-" "Guys?" "What Luther?" I asked. Happy that he interrupted Tristan so I wouldn't have hear his mouth. "There is blood over by that tree." We followed Luther and what we saw was unexpected. "Dead," I said. "Cortez is dead." "How we didn't smell the scent? The blood?" Tristan was confused. I hate to say this,but he was right.Us vampires can smell very well and it's puzzling that we didn't notice right away. Luther step in examining the scene before him. " Guys, Cortez been dead for at least a week and maybe some days. 

Someone staked him." Luther said. "He killed himself so he wouldn't face the council judgment? Weakling." Tristan hissed. "No Tristan, he was staked from behind. Its not possible for him to stake himself from behind. The council isn't going to like this." Luther said, shaking his head. Luther looked very worried. I heard screams and it was from Lana. She dropped to her knees crying then glanced at us.

"We should go." I said and everyone left to let her grieve except Tristan and Torres. "Lets go you two!" I shouted. They started walking towards us lost in thought. When got back to the house Luther stopped me to walking up my room. "Were in danger Aries. Cortez wasn't the killer and that killer can be around right now watching us." Luther voice was in deep worry. "I'm quite sure we will find the killer, but now we have to report to the council." I grimaced.

Rene p.o.v.

I heard noise and Dana and I tried to eavesdrop. Something about a dead vampire and there was a killer on the loose. "You hear that Rene?" she whisper. I nod. "This is what we need to escape. A distraction." she excitedly whisper. I shook my head at her. "Dana your impossible you know that?" "What? Look Rene, these are vicious killing vampires. They can kill us at any moment like for instance they'll get bored of us and what do you think what will happen? Were sitting ducks Rene." Dana did have point though. Who knows? That could happen tomorrow or today. I won't lie I was scared to try to attempt this and so was Dana, but she was right. Tristan almost killed me twice if it wasn't for Aries who saved me. "Alright I'll listen ,but it doesn't mean I'm agreeing." "Fine. Let's keep it between us two" she whisper back. I looked at her questioning. "Trust me, Rene, we will tell the the others when the time is right." The old maid words came back in my head 'Careful who you trust'