CHAPTER ZERO

CHAPTER ZERO: THE ARM WRESTLE WE'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR

TWO MONTHS LATER

Every so often I get this feeling in my gut. It's a feeling that is still new to me, and when I get this sudden flutter in my stomach, it makes my head dizzy and sometimes I have to take a breather. To take a moment where I stay calm. Otherwise, I think I'll overheat and ignite into spontaneous combustion.

Today is my first official day as an Avenger. For the past month I've been put through rigorous training with Uncle Tony, and at times, Aunt Nat will stop by to help. I like training with her better, Uncle Tony is too easy on me, and by the end of the day I end up pushing myself harder than he does. We focused on control, seeing as though I was already perfect when it came to hand-to-hand combat, making quick decisions under pressure. You know, "Avengers stuff", as Uncle Tony calls it. Over time, I learned to control my powers, better, but not perfect. Which is why I wanted to hold off on my Avengers party, I told Uncle Tony I wasn't ready yet: I still couldn't tap into my powers without making my hair blaze white, I couldn't fully control my powers with my eyes, nor could I control my new heat wave powers I discovered a few mornings ago during breakfast when I burned Happy's toast, and his morning newspaper. Uncle Tony said it didn't matter, that I was ready, and it was better to just jump right in the deep end without a life-jacket. But I knew better. I knew he was probably itching to have a party, considering him and Pepper were trying to decide exactly where to have their wedding. He took this as the perfect opportunity to invite all the past Avengers, and avoid seeing any of his old friends. Especially Steve, after having Laura send out invitations, the moment Uncle Tony heard of their arrival, him and Pepper flew out to their top three destinations for their spring wedding.

There's a knock on my door that makes me tear my eyes away from my window.

"Come in," I call to whoever is on the other side of the door, then raise from where I was sitting on my bed.

Both Cooper and Nate walk in, hands over their closed eyes. They walk in slowly and then, "are you dressed..?" The two ask in unison.

I stare down at the God awful black dress Uncle Tony made me wear, along with the gold flats that were going to give me blisters. "Yes, I'm dressed. Against my will." After hearing he wouldn't be at the party I threw the dress away. When Laura came to wake me up first thing this morning, the dress I had thrown away was the first thing she noticed, and convinced me to wear the dress. By convince I mean she asked, and I could never say no to Laura.

The two uncover their eyes. Nate giggles when he sees me and sprints over, before jumping in my arms. "Lila! Up! Up!" He taps my arms, wanting me to toss him in the air.

"Ready..?" I tease him, tickling under his arms before throwing him up into the air and catching him. He laughs and taps my arms again, I throw him in the air and catch him, this time spinning him around before setting him on the floor.