CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX: EAGER

** THE FOLLOWING CONTENT CONTAINS SEXUAL THEMES THAT SOME AUDIENCES MAY NOT FIND SUITABLE. READER DISCRETION IS ADVISED **

Like I guessed, Rhodey took forever to get home

Like I guessed, Rhodey took forever to get home. I had enough time to watch a movie and a half before he parked his car in the driver way. When Rhodey finally returned to his home it's late at night. I quietly shut off his television, propping my feet against the coffee table so I could comfortably sit on the couch. I had always wanted to recreate the moment that was so often portrayed in all the movies I had seen on television. I cross my legs, tilting my head at the song that Rhodey whistles to himself as he strolls through the front door of his home. The moment he shuts the door and I hear the pause of his leg braces, I flip on the lamp beside me.

"Hey Rhodey," I announce the moment the room is flooded with light. "How're the legs holding up?"

Rhodey produces a pistol from the counter beside him at the exact amount of time it's takes for me to flick my hand up, casting a heat wave in front of me. The warm layer of orange asks as a shield which ricochets the bullet from off the orange shimmery wall. Now I stand, dropping the shield, "did you just try and shoot me?!"

"Lila!?" Rhodey screeches, finally lowering his weapon which he had directed at me. He scoffs, returning the underside of the counter and shakes his head at me in disbelief, "you're waiting for me in the dark and you're wondering why I wanted to shoot you? Wait.. why are you in my house? And how did you even get in here?!"

I cross the living room to squint my eyes at his skeptical expression, "that doesn't matter. I'm here because I need your help to look into the murder of Norman Osborne," I produce the document I swiped from Oscorp. "There's some words I don't understand. And I remember Uncle Tony telling me how your suit was upgraded by this AIM company. Plus you work for the government, so," I shrug and follow him into the kitchen where he flips on the lights. Rhodey's home is very modern and open. There are wooden floors that match the sleek wooden walls, which pair well with the great glass windows. There's no other people in the house, but the home holds enough rooms up stairs for the possibility of a family.

"You're telling me Norman Osborne was murdered?" He takes his eyes from off of the document to give me a skeptic look, "he was a businessman, not James Bond."

I sit in a stool across from where he stands in front of a kitchen island. "I don't know who James is, but I do know that Norman Osborne did not just die of some heart thing, or whatever the news is saying." I lean onto the counter, "look, I was at Oscorp the day he died. There was this person or thing that got away. But it all seems too fishy. Something isn't right and I have a feeling this has something to do with everything."