CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH

How could everything feel so different? Everything feels different

How could everything feel so different? Everything feels different. And by different, I don't mean the good exciting different, I mean the 'how-can-I-go-back-in-time-and-change-what-happened-different?' I feel weird. And wrong. Like I'm not myself, like instead I'm living inside of someone else's body. I know I'm not myself because there are signs. Like, first, I let Spider-Man take down Sand Man all by himself. He defeated him on Monday, after I spent the entire day training and not going to school due to a restraining order that Flash's parents had issued. I couldn't go back to school, and be within five hundred feet of Flash for a week. Or, that was the deal the lawyers came to after meeting with Uncle Tony's lawyers. So a week of isolation, then I'd be able to go back to school. In the meantime, the restraining order was the perfect excuse for me to avoid speaking with Peter.

"You're sure you don't want to try to go to school? I can get rid of the restraining order like that," Uncle Tony snapped his fingers from where he stood in my bedroom doorway. He could try, and because he was Tony Stark, he could do anything.

"I'm sure," I told him from underneath my blankets.

I spent the whole day punching punching bags, and running miles. But with every swing and every step I kept reliving the same moment again and again. I saw the blush of his cheeks when we pulled apart. I felt the ease of leaning into him. The fire that brightened in my stomach when our lips touched. My smile. His lips. His breath. My lips. His fingers on my cheek. The ease. Our lips. I could see everything. I could feel everything. I didn't know what to do. I had never been this vulnerable and unsure in my life.

Luckily, Aunt Nat was in town. She came with Wanda and Vision who were doing one of their frequent check ups with Uncle Tony. I walked past his office, and saw the four of them, sitting at the conference table. I tapped on the glass door, before walking in. Uncle Tony was looking at the 3D hologram image of what looked like a brain.

"You're supposed to be at school," Aunt Nat noted from where she spun her chair to look at me.

"You're supposed to be in Germany," I tell her and go around the table to give Wanda a hug. "What are you guys doing here?"

She pulls away from our hug, before returning back to her seat, "Vis and I have check up with Tony every now and then."

"Check ups?" I repeat, then glance at Vision who finally tears his eyes away from the hologram.

He gestures to the brain, "your uncle wants to make sure I don't become the next Ultron." Ultron? What the hell was that? "It's nice to see you again, Miss Lila."