CHAPTER NINE

CHAPTER NINE: DESPERATE TIMES

Lila's POV

Speaking to Eddie was hard, because while he would listen to me talk to him, there were times when he'd check out of the conversation. I realized he was listening to Venom when he would do this. And sometimes he'd speak to Venom while only him and I, or even Aunt Nat were apart of the conversation. Then he would say 'we' instead of 'I' and I would realize that he was speaking for two instead of one.

"So, who's this Pietro kid again?"

Aunt Nat raises her head at the incorrect name, but I'm the one to correct Eddie on his error. "His name is Peter." I told myself that his name was just any other word, like pineapple. If I could say the word pineapple without bursting into tears, I could say the word Peter. Or at least that's what I was trying to convince myself.

"Right, right," Eddie nods, grabbing strawberry that's too ripen for my taste from my plate. Even though he asked for his french toast without strawberries, he eats the piece of fruit anyway. I give him a weird look before he explains, "we like the mushy ones."

This morning while I was prepared to go straight to Eddie's office and continue the mission, he suggested we get breakfast. I told him that if he wanted breakfast, to put some Eggos in his smelly toaster. Aunt Nat surprising took his side then told me that it was the most important meal of the day.

Eddie nods, spinning a metal ring on his finger as he thinks, after a refreshing sip of his ice water. He looks at me, his eyebrows furrowed. "So, if he's your best friend," he pauses, pointing at me before backtracking, "wait, you did say he's your best friend, right?"

I bite the inside of my cheek, I rake my fork through my whip cream that was spread across my pancake. I tried my best not to think of Peter since the fight, but it was inevitable. He was everywhere. He was there when I went to bed, laughing beside me in my dreams. He lived in the back of my head, on a never ending loop. When I woke up, I instinctively reached for my phone, only to realize I was checking it was to see if Peter had texted me. His chuckle and cheeky grin were with me when I got dressed this morning and my foot got caught in my jeans and I fell over. Even now, as we sat in the International House Of Pancakes, Peter was with me. He was the one who encouraged me to first try pancakes in Germany. And, even when I added ketchup to my eggs, he was there. "I don't know," I finally answer Eddie before popping a piece of my pancake into my mouth.

"What do you mean 'you don't know'?" Aunt Nat asks as she pours black coffee into her mug, "you two are separated at the hip. You two are like Eddie and his little parasite."

"Come on, Nat, you know Venom doesn't like to be called that," Eddie groans, rubbing his head the way Uncle Tony does when he feels an oncoming headache. He catches he grinning, and glares at her through his hands that have raked down from his forehead. "I know it's funny to you, but I'm the one who has to hear his tantrum."