CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO: NO KIDS ALLOWED

Hilariously, Uncle Tony was surprised when I was standing in the kitchen at the complex only a day and a half later

Hilariously, Uncle Tony was surprised when I was standing in the kitchen at the complex only a day and a half later. I hadn't slept nor showered, and I still had twenty four US dollars in my pocket that I planned on keeping. I dropped my backpack to the floor, causing a loud smack to echo off the refrigerator doors. Pepper yelps, covering her head in fear, while Uncle Tony whips around raising his arm at me in defense. Once he registers it's me, he raises an eyebrow, "well that was quick."

"That was easy." I correct him.

Pepper slowly returns to a neutral position before placing her hand over her heart and sighing, "oh, it's just you, Lila. I was worried for a moment," she chuckles before going back to her food and pausing for a moment, "wait, aren't you supposed to be in Europe right now with Nat and Steve?"

"I was," I explain to her approaching Uncle Tony, my mute phone in my hand, "I made it back, all by myself. And just so you know I didn't have to say the words 'I'm Tony Stark's niece' once!" I added that rule in for myself, seeing as though I knew telling anyone I was his niece would cut my time getting back to New York in half. And I wanted a challenge.

"Impressive," Uncle Tony grins at me, leaning back against the counter with his arms crossed. "Wouldn't have mattered, I called ahead, made sure it would be harder for you to get pass Go and collect two hundred dollars." He was talking about something I didn't understand.

I squint at him, "you only gave me five hundred."

Pepper scoffs, shaking her head, and cutting off our banter. She was trying to understand what the two of us were talking about. "Wait a second.. did- did they make you get back to New York all on your own?!"

"Yeah," I tell her like it's any other situation, not understanding why she was glaring at Uncle Tony like that. For his sake I add, "it was fun."

"Tony!" Pepper scoffs in disbelief, "how could you do that to Lila?"

"Do what? She's fine, babe!" Uncle Tony chuckles, and once he sees she isn't letting up he adds, "I wouldn't have let her try and find her way back to New York by herself if I didn't know she could make it back." He told Pepper before he crossed his arms and looking to me, "how did you make it back so quickly?"

I practically shove my phone in his face, "can you turn this thing back on?" The second he hung up the phone a day ago, my screen went black and didn't turn on again after. I hadn't been able to contact Clint or Laura, or even Peter. Peter. He had to be back from school by now. My plan in the moment was to have Uncle Tony fix my phone, call Clint and Laura, then head straight to Peter's to figure out what homework I missed, and to let him know I was alright. After all I was off the grid for almost two days now, he was probably freaking out. I knew I could've gone to Peter's first, knowing he would fix my phone, but I wanted to rub my quick return in Uncle Tony's face.