CHAPTER FOURTEEN

CHAPTER FOURTEEN: THE ANNOUNCEMENT

Having Peter back by my side felt like everything was right in the world

Having Peter back by my side felt like everything was right in the world. And as in everything was right in the world I meant everything went back to normal. We were back in school and the days flowed as usual. The only difference was the weight lifted from my chest now that I didn't have to put up with Liz in the hallways and around Peter at every waking moment. Given my second chance at life, after escaping HYDRA's clutches, once again, I felt free and relieved. And I knew this time around I would try to be better. But, of course, there were times when I would relapse.

"I'm going to kill her..!" I slam my foot on the ground of the front porch.

Clint is startled at my sudden outburst. He shakes his head, scoffing, "Lila, you're not going to kill my parole officer. She's doing her job."

"She stole your pee." If you're going to steal something, why would anyone want to still someone else's urine? "That's gross! Plus, we don't know what she wants to do with it. She could be testing experiments or"-

"Lila, it's for a drug test, it's perfectly normal," Clint chuckles as he steps away from the pile of leaves he's made in the front yard to inspect his work. He then turns to look at Nate who is preoccupied by picking up the yellow leaves only. "Nate, Buddy! What do you think? Is this pile big enough?"

Nate whips around, takes one look at the four foot pile in height and shakes his head fiercely. "Nope! Bigger!" He had said that three times now.

Clint lowers his head, chuckling. "Hey, Coop, when you're done with the tractor, how bout you see if your mom needs help with the apple pie?"

Cooper groans and rolls from underneath the tractor he had been underneath. At first I thought he was facing his fear of claustrophobia, but after a brief explanation from Clint I realized he had been replacing the tractor's engine. He stood, wiping sweat from off his forehead only to leave a streak of black across his forehead. "You know you've got two other kids to put to work, right?"

Clint pauses from constructing his leaf pile and raises an eyebrow at Cooper, "Nate is busy with his leaf collection."

"What about Lila?" He gestures to me, I'm still standing on the porch, stripping the porch of cobwebs from the Halloween decorations. Instead, I'm replacing the cobwebs with the orange leafs Nate had collected only moments ago. "She's just putting leaves on the porch."

"I'm decorating," I correct him fiercely. Then I turn to glance into the house and do Cooper's job for him. I yell, "hey, Mom, hows the pie?"

Laura exits the kitchen, brushing her hands off on the work pants that are already covered in powered and old paint. She exhales happily, "it should be a few more minutes. Ooh, Lila, the porch looks beautiful."

"I found all the leaves!" Nate informs Laura, running up the porch and hugging her legs tightly. "Is the pie ready yet?"

"Look, your brother and your sister did your job for you," Clint comments, then tugs Cooper into a tight hug. "I'm just pulling your leg, Man." He attempts to ruffle Cooper's hair.