CHAPTER FIFTEEN

CHAPTER FIFTEEN: THANKSGIVING

Of course someone was throwing a party Friday night

Of course someone was throwing a party Friday night. Of course. After all, we did get the entire week off from school, so I'm not sure what else I expected when MJ told me the news. I paused from ascending the fire escape to Peter's bedroom window, and adjusted my phone to my ear. I had to have heard MJ incorrectly.

"Did you just say Flash's house..?" I reiterated the fact that she said Flash, "as in Flash the bully?"

"A party is a party," she informs me, "I'm not saying we have to go, I just heard about it."

I scratch the back of my head, considering the idea, "maybe. I'll ask Peter what he wants to do."

"Speaking of," she hums, and I hear her move around what could possibly be her bedroom, "why exactly do I have to car pool with the world's most annoying chatter box? I would rather ride on the back of your death cycle."

"First of all, Ned. Second of all, Ninja." I remind her as I pass Mr. DelMar's window, I knock on it and wish him a happy Thanksgiving. He says the same, and Murph doesn't look up from his cat food. I return my attention back to MJ, "it's good for the environment. Carpooling, not the death cycle reference."

She huffs, "now that you and Peter have kissed and made up I would've expected the two of you to already kiss and make up by now."

I furrow my eyebrows, "wait.. we're supposed to..," I clear my throat, "kiss..? In order to make up? I thought we"-

"Lila, it's just an expression." She chuckles, "but, I am willing always take one for the team. Team being you. So if that means putting up with Ned for a half an hour car ride, I'll do it if that means you telling Peter the truth."

"Peter already knows I'm Comet."

MJ blows air from her lips, her voice raises an octave due to her annoyance, "that's not at all what I mean and you know it."

I purse my lips, "okay, whatever. Just.. I'll see you in an hour." I'm at Peter's window now, and from MJ's end of the phone I can hear her doorbell ring, then the faint sound of Ned's voice.

"He's already talking to my parents," she groans, "I gotta go, see you later."

"Bye," I tell her before knocking lightly on Peter's window and hanging up. I see his shadow pass against the opposite wall, and then Peter is opening the door. He smells clean, and he looks brighter than the last time I saw him. Which was yesterday night when we patrolled the city. He had a funny look in his eye, a dark one. But now, he looked much better. When he smiled at me, it reached his eyes instead of just his lips, which I tried to avoid looking at as much as possible.