CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE: THE CLUE

Peter's POV

"Ow!" I yell once a volleyball smacks me in the back of the head. My head raises to run away the sore spot and once again I curse the universe for two things. One being that we were playing the worst sport in gym today. And two being that MJ was my partner.

"What do you mean you had a fight?" She hisses across the gym as I retrieve the ball from where it rolled away after colliding with my head. Part of me regretted telling Lila's best hostile friend about our argument that happened only moments ago. My eyes go to the door once I pick up the ball, half expecting Lila to storm through the door with fire and grace. But, like the passed ten minutes, she still had not returned. Anxiety began to creep in.

"It wasn't a fight-fight..," I tell her as I dribble the ball in front of me for a moment. Once the white ball is between both my hands I serve it to MJ, "we just.. had a disagreement."

MJ catches the ball, instead of bumping it to me like we're supposed to be doing, like every other partner around the gym. Our gym teacher instructed that we warm up with a partner before competing in an actual scrimmage. Her brown tight eyes held me in my place while she interrogated, "you told me she said 'I don't want to be your girlfriend'. I doubt she came to that conclusion calmly."

A whistle causes our attention to move to our gym teacher. He's pulling a cart of volleyballs from out of the gym closet and points to MJ, "Michelle, Peter, less talking." Then he drops the whistle from his mouth, making the commotion of the gym start up again. "Now, everyone line up so we can practice serving."

I turn back to MJ and run a hand down my face slowly. The reminder of Lila's decision makes my breathing feel constricted and my heart weigh down. I had been preparing to ask Lila to be my girlfriend for weeks and now it feels like everything blew up in my face. My jealousy got the best of me in the end. If I made a sincere enough apology, maybe I could mend things before they got too bad.

"Where's Lila?" Ned asks as him and the rest of our class makes their way to the opposite end of the wall. A line began to form once I started moving and MJ threw the ball into my chest.

"Romeo here broke up with her," she announces with a bitter attitude. I'm starting to regret telling MJ first. I should have told Ned first and let MJ find out from Lila.

Harry and Jessica approach right as MJ speaks up. In ironic unison the two ask, "really?"

My eyes fall shut with annoyance and I huff as we each take our place in the line to serve. I try to keep my voice down, seeing as though all the other conversations around us were at a whisper rather than the heavy tone that MJ seemed to carry. "We didn't break up. Not exactly. We're just in a fight."