CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE: PETER AND THE LIZARD

The second after we finished dancing, Peter got a call from May

The second after we finished dancing, Peter got a call from May. After she saw both Peter and I as Spider-Man and Comet, two months ago, she freaked out. She almost fainted. I tried to convince Peter that we needed to knock her out and figure out a way to take her memories away, but Peter convinced me otherwise. Now, after two months, she was finally getting used to the idea of her nephew being a superhero. "I've got to take this," Peter excused himself before walking off the dance floor and out of the Entertainment Room. She was calling and texting him constantly, making sure he was alive and safe. I, on the other hand, crossed the room and went to where Aunt Nat was standing at the bar. She had a look in her eyes that told me she wanted to talk to me about something.

"How'd Peter take the news?" She asked as I sat in the bar stool beside her. "Your dance was cute, by the way."

I bit the inside of my cheek, then fought the urge to bite my fingernails. "I didn't tell him. I can't, Aunt Nat. Everything will be too weird between us."

She asked the most obvious question. "Well, isn't it already weird?"

I ignored her comment, and watched as Vision appeared from the other side of the bar. Instead of his usual red skim complexion and superhero apparel, he now was taking on a more human appearance. His skin complex was similar to mine, his green eyes were behind a pair of glasses. The clothes on his body resembled those of a casual, older man. He was holding a glass in his hand, then leaned against the bar, in a very human-like motion. "I'm afraid we're all out of Russian Rum, Natasha, will Captain Morgan be a better replacement?"

"You know I'll just take a Pepsi," Aunt Nat suggests, letting our previous conversation become a thing of the past. "On to more important matters: Lila, Tony wanted me to give you your first Avengers mission while he's gone, think you're ready?"

I gasp, my eyes wide. This was it. Time to prove myself again. I couldn't mess up like before, not like when Uncle Tony had asked me make sure Peter was safe. Screwing up wasn't an option. It was like I was going to get a third chance at being an Avenger. This would be different, I'd be ready for anything, no matter the stakes. "Yes. I'm ready. What's the mission?"

"You'll be coming with Steve and I to take Vision and Wanda back to Europe. Nice and simple," she told me when Vision handed her the a can of Pepsi, a metal straw poking from the opening of the can.

"A drink for you, Ms. Lila?" Vision asked politely, after wiping the counter off with a damp cloth, leaving the marble bar spotless.

I don't hear him, because I'm too focused on Aunt Nat's underwhelming statement. "So wait, my first mission is to babysit?" As if I hadn't already babysat Peter enough.

"With me and Steve," she said it like it meant anything differently.

"You've got to be kidding me!" I scoff, pushing my hands against the bar. I grit my teeth and fume, "you know, if I wanted to be a babysitter I would've stuck to ground patrol with Peter!" I gesture back to the boy who had approached Aunt Nat and I but had yet to say a word.